Moving Washing Machine

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralphjjr

Reaction score
Good evening experts...

I live in NJ and I am moving my washing machine over a few feet. I'm trying to accomplish a particular design in my head and I want to make sure that I can ask someone to do this. The last time I had a plumber do work for me, we went back one too many times on design. I want to do my homework up front.

The water lines are easy, those will just be extended from where they currently are. The drain is what is presenting a bit of a challenge.

A diagram is attached. Blue is existing, red will be new. Dotted lines will be in the wall. The biggest thing is I do not want to tear up the wall in the 1st floor. I have a clear shot inside the, currently open, wall in the second floor, down to the basement, where the 1st floor drain is.

A few questions I have are
- should the p-trap be in the wall? It is an exterior wall. The 1st floor p-trap is in the wall, which surprises me a bit. I can get the PVC on the inside of the insulation, but I'm still not convinced the water inside it will not freeze.

- If I should put it on the outside of the wall, can the p-trap be flush to the wall and then 90˚ into the wall, and then 90˚ down?

- does the vent have to go all the way up to the roof? or can I go out the back or side wall with it?

I'm not a plumber, obviously... but I am an electrician, so I know I'm probably missing obvious things. Please ask, or point it out.

Thank you in advance for the help.

This image is not to scale.

The P-TRAP SHOULD NOT Be in a outside wall , and no it does not come 90* out ,its a sink, or lav , and yes all traps must be vented, if it's not accessible to the roof , a cheater vent may be used

Back