kitchen sink drain still blocked after drano and snake

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js112358

Reaction score
I noticed my garbage disposal seemed to be running weak a few weeks back. Last week, my sink got completely blocked. I tried boiling water, bleach, the plunger, and drano gel. None of them worked so I went to my hardware store and bought a 25 ft hand cranked drain snake. All 25 ft of it seemed to slide through without resistance. When I took it out, the line was coated with a thin layer of rust and black grease. I didn't think it looked too unusual.

I would normally think that this meant roots farther down the line. Only thing is, none of my other drains (bathroom and washer) are blocked. I live in a small one story house on a small plot of land. Am I right to assume that all wastewater drains would converge fairly close to my house? If so, it seems unlikely to be roots if all the others are working fine. What else could be causing this?

Thanks!

Well the worst thing you could have done was pour Drano or bleach down your pipes.

The kitchen sink....its grease. You can feed a 50 foot or a 100 foot snake down there it'll just push right through the grease and have a pin hole call a plumber to properly clean the pipe.

That black stuff on your snake is just decayed food and oily residue.
That's normal for kitchen drains. Lavatory sinks are worse.
Usually a foul smelling paste from the toothpaste and , creams and make up that coats the inside of the drain.
Typical kitchen drains stoppages can sometimes only be a couple feet away and some may even be as far as 75 ft. 45ft is pretty common.
You're not going to get it with a hand snake. Maybe! But it would only be a temporary thing.

You likely caused yourself an extra $100 in grief with your $10 bottle of drain-not. Throw that crap away, and hire a professional. Be sure to warn them about the drain-o so if they have to cut open any pipes they don't get any chemical on them.

Latest posts

Back