Basement drain problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidbrianfisher

Reaction score
Hi everyone. The drain in the center of the basement floor has started smelling very badly the last few days but everything appears normal - water level is about 3 or 4 inches below the cover as usual and when I pour water into it the level doesn't change. It is not backing up, showers/toilets all draining normally, it just smells terrible. We have line coverage for the external sewer/water/gas but they said the wouldn't even come out if it isn't backed up (so what the hell is the point of insurance if you'll pardon my French!). Called a plumber who thinks it might be a broken pipe and suggested it could cost $15,000 to dig up the floor and replace it, although we told him not to use a camera until we checked with our insurance first so that's not 100%. Out of desperation I was hoping for any advice as to what it might be, and any suggestions about what I could do in the hopes of avoiding an enormous repair payment.

Thanks in advance!

We have line coverage for the external sewer/water/gas but they said the wouldn't even come out if it isn't backed up (so what the hell is the point of insurance if you'll pardon my French!).

The reason(s) for insurance is for the insurance companies to make money. It is all one big gamble.

My favorite is buying extended warranty insurance on a new car. The thing has at the least a three year bumper-to-bumper from the get go.

What I can't figure is how health insurance companies make a profit with the current cost of medical care, other than being supplemented by FED and local governments.

Back