Seeking help for second floor addition drainage system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrickpresti

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am about a month away from starting to plumb the waste lines for my new second floor addition. Attached are the waste line schematics and the second floor plan.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to go about tackling this job? Where would you located the 4" stack pipe.

Also to note, this house has a full unfinished basement.

Thanks,

Pat

DrainSchematic.jpg

SecondFloorPlan.jpg

got a structural print? which way do the floor joists run?

what size are the floor joists?

where is the waste stack in relation to the floor plan?

looks like you have plumbing on an outside wall, is the wall sitting on the rim joist?

is this house in a cold climate, outside wall plumbing is a no no if you live in burrrrr cold

not against code, against common since

SecondFloorPlan.jpg

Last edited:
got a structural print? which way do the floor joists run?

what size are the floor joists?

where is the waste stack in relation to the floor plan?

looks like you have plumbing on an outside wall, is the wall sitting on the rim joist?

is this house in a cold climate, outside wall plumbing is a no no if you live in burrrrr cold

not against code, against common since

Thanks for the reply. I am located on Long Island, NY.

The floor joists are 2x8's and they are running perpendicular to the exterior wall.

The waste stack can be placed anywhere at the moment. I was thinking about placing it in the wall between the bathtub, sink vanity and the washer machine.

Talked about the outside wall with the architect. It is sitting on a double LVL beam. He recommended that I build and furr out that exterior wall. This way I can insulate the exterior wall and then we would have room for the plumbing. It would also allow me to run the plumbing up with the LVL there. There is room to add onto that exterior wall.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Pat

I just called the Building Department and they said they use ICC 2010 of New York State.

my thoughts

Frodo,

Do you want that main waste pipe that everything runs into that runs parallel to the exterior walls to be 3" or 4"?

How do I run that pipe through the floor joist? Do I have to head off those joist?

Where do you want the 4" stack pipe to go?

Thanks,

Pat

Latest posts

Back