Tub LEAKING under carpet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esahic

Reaction score
My wife took a bath in our bath tub last night, when she got out she notice the carpet was soaked around the tub and in the hallway outside the restroom. I don't see any cracks in the tub. My wife did say that she kept hearing a noise that sounded like the water was draining, but she made sure she close/plugged the drain. We have taken showers before and never noticed any leaks. What could be the problem and where do I start to fix the issue.

Our restroom smells because of the water. I have put fans in to help dry the carpet faster.

If you have padding under the carpeting, you will need to fold it back to dry the padding. If you don't, that smell will be getting alot worse, depending on how much water got on the carpeting.

before you go all DIY and rip the house up'

get a cup of coffee, lets ponder this here a minute

was the shower curtain in the correct position, or might it have pulled back, and soaked the floor?

just ask'n...

next, is to start eliminating stuff

fill the tub with water with the drain plugged...up over the over flow

is the floor geting wet?

if not.not that

next, is the valves and spout caulked to the wall ? sealed ?

water runs down the wall leaks there. spray the shower head on the valves and spout, look for water

next is the wall to top of tub is it caulked? in good shape,

spray with water find the leak

First, thank you for the responses. I looked at the tub and the overflow drain has basically no caulking around it and neither does the water spout. The water spout actually moves around and I can see the gap from the wall when I pull on it. So I think I have found the issue.

My wife took a bath in our bath tub last night, .

View attachment 9943 but what about water on the wall running down?

Old rotten or loose overflow gaskets are the most common leaks from bath tubs.

I fill the tub half way, then drain it.
Then I Fill the tub to over flow.
No leaks yet?
Then I run the shower.
I like to remove the valve cover to look inside the wall with a small mirror, if I can.

I was more concerned about the tub spout comment. My kid never flooded the tub past the overflow.

I have a kid not dolphins.:D

use

caulk. apply caulk, with a wet sponge, wipe off excess caulk.
pinse sponge, wipe off, rinse,wipe,rinse wipe

till you get it the way you want it to look

wait a few hours. if caulk shrinkage, recaulk wipe,rinse etc

Latest posts

Back