Washing Machine Drain? New Home Owner Alert!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abraxen

Reaction score
Hello,

So this will probably turn out to be a stupid question.

In our new house the laundry area has both a sink and what looks like a wall stand pipe drain. Is there any way to know if the stand pipe drain is actually connected given that it's dry walled in?

Reason I ask is that I'm conditioned that when I see a sink like we have that the washer drains in there.

The home was built in 1949, and most of the original style homes do drain with the sink. However, our home was pretty much redone top to bottom, so it's reasonable to think they did the plumbing for what looks like the drain in the wall. Especially since they converted to central air/forced heat and dry walled around the dryer vent.

I should probably mention that the laundry room is in the basement as that probably matters.

IMG_1519.jpg

It should be OK. But if your concerned run a hose into the drain.

Not sure what you mean by that. The stack drain or the sink drain?

The issue we're running into is that the room may be too small to properly fit a decent sized washer and dryer. Being able to get rid of the sink would give us more options.

If it isn't connected to the plumbing when you put water into it it will show up on the floor. Just what makes you think that someone would go through the trouble of installing a washer box and not connect it to the plumbing?

If it isn't connected to the plumbing when you put water into it it will show up on the floor. Just what makes you think that someone would go through the trouble of installing a washer box and not connect it to the plumbing?

Well, just that some things were done really well, and other things they slacked on, many of which were cheap. They ended up fixing a lot of those things after two inspections pointed them out (the previous potential buyer backed out of the sale).

That's why I said it was probably a stupid question. Logic would suggest that what you said is correct. But logic would also suggest they did some things differently, and likely saved money in the process.

Latest posts

Back