House Addition With Septic Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KULTULZ

Jack of All Trades ~ Master of None
Professional
Reaction score
Was thinking of adding an addition on my house but came to find out the number of bedrooms allowed are limited by tank size (in my case 1000gl can only support four bedrooms).

A builder/contractor then mentioned you can increase allowed capacity by increasing leach field size not necessarily tank size. Does this sound right?

:confused: In Wild and Wooly WV-

Surprised someone hasn't jumped in to help.
I don't have any experience with septic tanks except clearing a drain going into them

Tank size is controlled by house size/bedroom count.

Leach field size is controlled by bedroom count & soil condition.

That's how I figured it, tank size cannot be manipulated, or there would not be differing sizes of tanks. Just allowing a tank to drain more quickly with an enlarged leach field to prevent overflow/backup doesn't seem to flush... ? :cool:

I will have to ask at the county next time down there. I just thought maybe someone here could give me a definite yes or no.

what are you adding? what is existing ?

It is a 3BR 2 1/2 BA presently. I wanted to add like an in-law addition but my tank size limits me to 4BR total (according to local code). I cannot see the cost of another tank/field.

Cheaper to just buy a larger house, especially in this area.

THANX GUYS!

500 gallon tank 100 ft line have you priced it in your area?

I put my 1000 gallon tank and 200' of line in , for less than $1500.00

...hmmpf...

Doesn't sound too bad. I thought it was more expensive reading others descriptions.

Now would the leach field have to be expanded also?

I am a$$-u-ming that you did your own excavation, right? That is where it becomes expensive.

I had to hiire out the digging, because I am ho less.

I know what you mean. I have been married forty-four years and am ho less...

:eek:

...oh... you are referring to a back ho...

This house is my first adventure with well/septic so everything is on an extreme accelerated learning curve. The house is builder grade so the tank was installed as closely to the house as I guess code would allow so now I can't extend that side of the house without installing a complete new system I guess.

Live and learn... :rolleyes:

Every State is going to differ. Dont listen to contractors concerning code, go to the source.

Every State is going to differ. Dont listen to contractors concerning code, go to the source.

COPY!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Here's advice I found on another site during a GOOGLE marathon-

There is only one code that you have to follow and it is the code that has been enacted into law, with additions or deletions, in your LOCAL jurisdiction. All of the national codes are merely suggestions and have no power of enforcement.

It is ONLY when a model code is enacted into law by a state, county or municipal legislative body that it is enforceable by the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ). Further, the enabling legislation has the power to add to or delete from the model code as it sees fit. What may be acceptable in your city may be prohibited in the next city down the road if each city has their own codes.

Some local codes will require the garbage grinder to be on a single (dedicated) branch circuit and other local codes allow it to share a dishwasher circuit. Some will allow a plug and receptacle and some will require hard wiring. You have to check with your local jurisdiction to know for certain.

Source- http://www.doityourself.com/forum/electrical-ac-dc/555813-garbage-disposal-code-question.html

Latest posts

Back