Draining dehumidifier through sewage pipe?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mega

Reaction score
We are beginning the process of finishing a portion of the basement, with the first step being to install a dehumidifier. The problem with this is plumbing the water from the dehumidifier out of the basement without having to drill a hole through the wall. Our plan as of now is to allow the dehumidifier to drain into the sump pit, and then have a pipe run from the sump pump up and over to connect with the sewage pipe to continue out of the house. This is where I'm running into questions.

Firstly, I believe this is conceivable as the air conditioner has tubing running from it into the sewage pipe to drain any excess condensation. Any thoughts?

I understand that the tubing from the air conditioner is a bit smaller than the pipe would be from the sump pump, and also would have less pressure. Would this type of set up cause problems with the larger pipe and greater pressure?

Assuming this idea is still feasible, my next question is what would be the best way to connect the pipe from the sump pump into the sewage pipe?

The tubing from the air conditioner is simply routed around the I-beam to form a sort of s-trap, and attaches directly to a nipple on the sewage pipe.
Would reducing the pipe from the sump pump to a smaller diameter tubing and adding another nipple suffice?
Or would the pump be too powerful for that? In which case would it make sense to create a hard S-trap out of pvc and add some sort of T adapter on the end of the sewage line?

I apologize if this is a lot of information right off the bat, just wanted to give as much background as possible. Any pictures or information can be supplied as needed. Thanks in advance for any help!!

The sump pump is not draining to anywhere at the moment, there isn't even a pump in place. Just the pit itself with a lid/piping for radon pump.

There is nothing currently draining into the pit. The dehumidifier will be the only thing

Also it may be worth noting that the sewage line leads into a septic system, and is not draining into a public sewer system.

Back