Draining Hot Water Supply.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gloworm

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie with my first posting.

I wish to fit a new lever deck mixer taps. The old one is starting to leak all over.

My problem is how to drain the hot water system as there is no isolating/shut off valves anywhere . The cold water supply is controlled by the usual mains input tap under the sink.

After much searching on the web I now my understanding my only option is the drain the system by shutting off the cold water feed from the storage tank in the loft to the immersion in the airing cupboard and open all the hot water taps, upstairs and downstairs, in the house.

I tried this, and found the "mono" hot water taps all stopped after a relatively short time, but the kitchen mixer was still running, though visibly slower and coughing and spluttering without seemingly to stop.

Presumably this results from the long drop from the airing cupboard to the kitchen.

What is the usua expected time approx., assuming the shut off valve is working correctly?
Will this draining of the immersion have any effect on the central heating?

Many thanks.

if you want to shut off the hot water, close the valve on the hot water tank.
if it still runs due to a leak thru valve.
shut off the water to the whole apartment.

if it still leaks thru, call a plumber

after you turn off a valve, and open a faucet, it will let the pressure off the line, then all that is left is the residual water in the piping.
how long will it dribble ?

longer than 5 minutes, you have a valve leaking thru

Latest posts

Back