help with disposal working with new sink depth

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbohr

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting new granite countertops/sink and still want a garbage disposal to work. My concern is the current height of the drain pipe going into the wall. My plan is to get a new InSinkErator disposal with a model that has 6" from the bottom of the sink to the center of the exit pipe of the disposal. If I get a 9" deep sink... plus the 6" for the disposal... the exit of the disposal will be exactly 1.75" higher (center of pipe to center of pipe) than the drain pipe going into the wall. Is this high enough? Should I go with an 8" deep sink, and then the exit will be 2.75" higher than the wall drain?

1) is 1.75" higher enough?
2) will another inch (using an 8" deep sink vs a 9" deep sink) make a big difference?
3) what insinkerator (or other brand) disposal do you recommend? (I've heard that the badger series isn't very good... is it definitely worth the money to get an evolution series instead?)

Thanks for your answers!!!

Here's what it currently looks like... With the new 9" deep sink, the exit of the disposal will be around 4" lower than what it currently is -- and about 1.75" above the height of the horizontal wall drain. A 90 will come out of the disposal and right into the p trap. Is 1.75" enough for everything to work properly? Or some more height is needed?

disposal final.jpg

No, there is not a clean out, and that measurement is 3.25"

I think it's going to work... by 3/4" to spare. Here's what the measurements are. Thanks for helping me view it this way.

If it's too tight, have you ever used a reversible J bend p-trap?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-Plastic-P-Trap-with-Reversible-J-Bend-P9703WBG/203704127
That would give me plenty of room...

Just my main concern was if the disposal exit being 1.75" above the drain is enough... like where would you draw the line -- it just has to be barely above the drain and any height should work?

2015_10_06_12_04_32-page-001.jpg

Back