Iron in drinking water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Reaction score
Heres a question for ya...

For my wifes health reasons, (iron overload) I have got to try and eliminate as much iron from our well water as possible.

I have a Culligan Water Conditioner/Softener installed , that really does remove most of the iron. I cant taste it , and no orange signs of it after 15 yrs , on our sinks.

Question...
Will those Brita, Pur, etc faucett filters remove iron from the water.
They say heavy metals ,but do not specifically mention iron.
We only need it for drinking water, coffee, tea.

Any input will be appreciated.

There are two types of iron. Ferrous and ferric. Ferric is in more of a solid form and can be trapped while ferrous iron must be oxidized to be trapped. So it depends on the type of iron you have. I'm not sure what the softener is going to do to the iron before it gets to your tap.

If you don't have staining, you probably don't have any iron because it only takes a minute amount to stain. Iron is also good for you.

Thanks,

My wife has severe RA,and a hair analysis shows her iron is off the chart.
She is in the process of cleansing it from her body, and we are advised to not to drink the well water, as iron will settle in the joints,and thats bad for her RA. They called it "iron overload".

We started using only bottled water, but thats getting costly.

Culligan tested our water, when they installed the unit, and said they would be able to remove the iron thru the softener beads. I dunno.

I just want something for that final trace amount that may still be there.
Thats when I started looking into the faucett filters.

We have been on well water for 40 yrs.

Jim

I have never been one to recommend softeners to remove iron. They make iron filters for that and they do a much better job. Even the iron filter won't get 100%.

I would hate to say one way or the other if an after the softener filter would work or not. It's something I've never done before.

Can you reccomend a particular brand, or type of filter?

If I need to ,I will install one.

Jim

I have never been a fan of inline filters (called "Whole house filters") and the sink tops are pretty useless in my opinion. If you can find one with granulated activated carbon (not the silver impregnated) it will probably work as good as any. Carbon does remove heavy metals and lots of other things chemical wise like chlorine etc. I have known carbon filters (the real ones that look like your softner) to remove iron as long as its oxidized first. But it plugs the carbon pretty quick even when backwashing frequently.

Can you reccomend a particular brand, or type of filter?

If I need to ,I will install one.

Jim

You first have to have done (or do) (approx. $200) a complete water analysis to confirm the amount of iron (and other contaminates). Then you go to treatment. If the wife's medical condition is severe, consider a reverse osmosis system on the drinking/cooking water.

Bottled water is another crapshoot. Remember Perrier?

If you want to get rid of all iron in just the drinking water, I would say to use an undercounter reverse osmosis filter for your drinking and cooking water.

Latest posts

Back