Weak stream

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkie136

Reaction score
I just had to replace my entire well system. I had a pressure switch go bad and burn out the pump. I had a plumber replace every thing since it was 30+ years old. he installed new pump, pressure switch, pressure tank and all new pipes from galvanized to PEX. Everything now works and fine but my water pressure is very weak at certain faucets and seems to be stronger at others. A little info, this is a shared well with a neighbor, we replaced the pump from a 3/4HP to a 1HP. We installed a 40-60 pressure switch and a 20gal pressure tank. I was told the well was just over 200ft deep but measured the pipe when we removed the old pump and it is only 165ft deep. Why do I have weaker pressure with a stronger pump? Is the pressure tank to small or maybe I need to install a lower pressure switch? I know very little about plumbing so any help is appreciated, thanks.

Debris in the aerators? Remove the aerators from the problem faucets and see what the flow is like. Still not good? Do you have a whole house filter? Is there a pressure gauge near the pressure switch to verify the pressure there? You can buy a pressure gauge that attaches to an outside spigot to check the pressure at the house.

I agree there is probably debris in there. Do you have a wye strainer on your line anywhere?

Your pump doesn't have all control over the pressure at the fixtures. It needs to satisfy the pressure the switch is set for. It doesn't matter if it's 1/2 HP or 1HP. It's sized for the lift it needs to get water out of the well, not the pressure you want. A little 1/3HP submersible pump will make over 150psi at the snap of a finger with no switch. From the info you provided, to me, you only need a 1/2HP pump. Not sure why they over sized so much, but that's not my concern.

You could have debris in your lines from the new pump install. But one thing to remember about pex is that it's a smaller inside diameter, so the way you pipe things is more crucial because you need to deliver the volume while technically using a smaller pipe. With standard crimp fittings, your 1/2" now becomes 3/8" and 3/4" about 1/2". This is why I like expansion rings/fittings, as they don't cut down your diameter.

How many bathrooms do you have? Where are you noticing the least pressure? Is your pump shared with the neighbour too or just the well?

But one thing to remember about pex is that it's a smaller inside diameter, so the way you pipe things is more crucial because you need to deliver the volume while technically using a smaller pipe. With standard crimp fittings, your 1/2" now becomes 3/8" and 3/4" about 1/2". This is why I like expansion rings/fittings, as they don't cut down your diameter.

:confused: ... hmmph ...

I knew about the PEX reduced ID but not the further flow restriction the fittings would cause.

THANX for the lesson... :D

OH....I saw the title of this thread. thought you were discussing my prostate

You might want to consult my urologist, Dr. I. P. Freeley.

He discovered that I had a small infection in mine and recommended forcing fluids and getting plenty of rest. I immediately went out and purchased two cases of Bud and drank until I passed out.

Worked wonders for me... ;)

:confused: ... hmmph ...

I knew about the PEX reduced ID but not the further flow restriction the fittings would cause.

THANX for the lesson... :D

It's not drastically noticable because most faucets have a 3/8" supply anyway except showers!

It's not drastically noticable because most faucets have a 3/8" supply anyway except showers!

thats true. but some of these guys are running 1/2'' to everything on the hot side and 2 or 3 fixtures on the cold.

First house I roughed in in Orlando, I ran the hot just like I run the cold

3/4 every where, at the last 2 fixtures i use a 3/4x1/2x1/2 tee
the plumb co owner . was like WTF!!! we run everythin on the hot in 1/2

I told him I dont, and wont

That's how I do it too. 3/4" as far as I can. It costs a little more but when I do big custom showers or big houses, I don't want people complaining about water pressure!

Yes but on the flip side, the longer you run one size pipe, you lose the volume you need to keep up with the gpm of the fixtures when something else is being used. That's why we try to over size a bit wherever we can.

Why do I have weaker pressure with a stronger pump? Is the pressure tank to small or maybe I need to install a lower pressure switch?

Just because the horsepower is larger doesn't mean the pump will pump more water or make more pressure. There are several different pumps for any given horsepower. If the wrong one is selected, your pressure can suffer for it. You didn't say if this is a submersible or jet pump either. There is a large difference in the two.

Latest posts

Back