First timer installing toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumbermom

Reaction score
Out of necessity I just finished repairing the toilet. I had removed it due to a leak. I ended up having to repair the floor underneath. So I fixed the flange and put in a new wax seal. Seated the toilet fine and even re-did the workings in the tank to address an old flushing problem. So everything is attached good, I turned the water supply back on and the tank filled. I flushed the toilet and then checked for leaks. I saw that where the water supply entered the tank it was leaking a bit so I shut off the water supply and tightened that connection. I dried everything up and turned the water supply back on. Nothing happened. Tried to flush again but not enough water in the tank. Double checked to make sure I had turned the water supply on -I did. But no water is going into the tank. What did I miss? This has been a frustrating learning process....

Plumber mom

Loose washer in supply valve. Turn the main water supply off and remove the stem on the valve. Many of these valves the washer is just pushed onto the stem, not held in place with a screw.

Thanks for your reply. Turns out it was only the chain had too much slack in it. I adjusted it and now the toilet works better than it has in years! Very excited about my accomplishment....

:)

plumber mom

Latest posts

Back