Installing Kitchen Faucet, Leaks at RO Valve Adapter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prestonius

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of switching out an old kitchen faucet for a new one. The sink has an adapter that splits the cold water between the reverse osmosis system and the faucet's cold water input. Even after I tighten down the faucet's cold water input into this adapter, it leaks out of the threads. Maybe I'm not tightening it down hard enough? When I look inside the adapter, there's no rubber seal, just a little metal lip, so I guess this is supposed to work with metal-on-metal contact.

I've included photos of this adapter, as well as the new and old cold inputs for the faucets.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

preston

IMG_8626.JPG

IMG_8628.JPG

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8633.JPG

Hi,

Whoever did the work before me put Teflon tape on everything. I decided to put the new faucet on the exact same way as the old one, so I put Teflon tape on the hot and cold inlets. Everywhere else you see the tape, it was already there.

Frodo - That's what I was wondering about. Why is there no washer and why did the old faucet not leak at that point of contact? I tried to look on the floor to see if I may have dropped a washer (like it came out stuck to the cold inlet threads and fell onto the ground or something).

I'm sure you understand the configuration already but here's a photo.

Also, I will look into what type of washer will fit into there. I have some garden hose washers and will report back.

IMG_8634.JPG

The top of the female fitting is 1/2" IPS, the old faucet had matching threads. The new faucet has the same thread pattern, but has the sides "cut off". The new faucet needs the forcing cone of a faucet supply tube to seal against.

The top of the female fitting is 1/2" IPS, the old faucet had matching threads. The new faucet has the same thread pattern, but has the sides "cut off". The new faucet needs the forcing cone of a faucet supply tube to seal against.

your saying he need s cone washer, supply tube not a flat washer

Ok I went to Lowes and purchased a replacement adapter, and it works. The new adapter has a metal cone that form-fits with the respective cone in the cold inlet on the faucet. The old adapter probably didn't work with the new faucet because the old cold inlet made a unique physical imprint on the metal ring inside the adapter. That's my theory anyway. It turns out that these adapters do not need rubber washers.

Back