Pump problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobc999

Reaction score
I have a shallow well pump attached to my spring to boost water pressure in the house. It worked fine for over seven years.

Recently, the pump started turning on and off repeatedly while there was a demand for water and, last night, started doing the same with no demand. I turned off power to the pump to stop from burning it up.

Assuming it to be a pressure switch problem, I changed the switch this morning. The problem continues. There is plenty of water coming from the spring.

I am absolutely stumped. FWIW, I am merely a home handyman, not a plumber of any sort. Help!

Last edited:
There is no well. It's a spring, as I said above.

Anyway, it's solved. I got a plumber on the phone and he told me it was likely waterlogged. Had me check the pressure with a tire gauge and, sure enough, there was no pressure. I opened up a faucet, pumped air in until it hit 28 psi and all is well, at least for now. I'll be observing it closely for a while.

If it's a bladder tank, you will need a new one unless you plan on pumping it up all the time.

The bladder should have never bled off. Prob a pinhole in bladder

Sent from my iPad using Plumbing Forum

Well, the solution lasted for 15 months before the problem popped up again. I added more air today. I can live with that.

Back