Viega PEXPress system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been considering starting to use this PEX system for quite some time. Finally had a job that justified the $1000 expense to buy the press tools.

I am really impressed by these fittings so far. Low zinc content, so zinc leaching from the fittings is a non issue. 8 rings on the fittings, instead of 3 on a standard PEX crimp fitting. The rings are fixed on the fittings, so no problems with positioning the the ring on the fitting/pipe.

I have piped in 2 bathrooms so far, and I really like how it goes together,

I have my old polybutlane crimp tools from the 80's

I wonder if they fit?

I doubt they would fit, just like any company with its own fitting, you would need a special too to make the connection. I don't think Viega would let another tool do the job for their fittings, they would be losing out on too much money.

I doubt they would fit, just like any company with its own fitting, you would need a special too to make the connection. I don't think Viega would let another tool do the job for their fittings, they would be losing out on too much money.

maybe, you could be right:D
I learned a long time ago. dont assume ****.
od of the pipe is the same, rings look to be the same thickness

the tool is adjustable for calibration..

bears looking into

maybe, you could be right:D
I learned a long time ago. dont assume ****.
od of the pipe is the same, rings look to be the same thickness

the tool is adjustable for calibration..

bears looking into

Looks like your right again. I only assume when it won't have any major affect. If this was a serious topic I would not have said much. :cool:

Looks like your right again. I only assume when it won't have any major affect. If this was a serious topic I would not have said much. :cool:

not trying to be right.

handymen, uncle waldo, neighbor, are not plumbers, just cause some one says
"I been doing it this way for 10 years"
does not make it correct.it just means they been doing it wrong for 10 years

only way to learn plumbing is to do it.
book smart does not mean a damn thing with out experience.

the book says install the pipe, you have to install the pipe to learn HOW to install the pipe

just like the T&P valve, I know what the manufacture says.
BUT, experience says they are full of ****

listen to the older guys, after you do something for 1000 times, you know how it is done a whole lot better than a suit in a lab, that only did it 5 times and wrote the directions.
Matt, phishfood, David, others, these guys KNOW what they are talking about.

well, that Matt, now he is from a foreign country, i dont think they had bathrooms over their til 2003..maybe 2004

they used buckets, ;)

A regular PEX crimp tool, or even an older PB crimp tool, will not work with this system. These fittings have a stainless steel ring that is attached to the fitting itself. The stainless ring is thinner than a regular PEX crimp copper ring, so a regular PEX crimper will not compress it tightly enough. Also, The PEXPress crimp tool compresses specific areas of the the ring, whereas a standard crimp toll compresses all of the ring.

not trying to be right.

handymen, uncle waldo, neighbor, are not plumbers, just cause some one says
"I been doing it this way for 10 years"
does not make it correct.it just means they been doing it wrong for 10 years

only way to learn plumbing is to do it.
book smart does not mean a damn thing with out experience.

the book says install the pipe, you have to install the pipe to learn HOW to install the pipe

just like the T&P valve, I know what the manufacture says.
BUT, experience says they are full of ****

listen to the older guys, after you do something for 1000 times, you know how it is done a whole lot better than a suit in a lab, that only did it 5 times and wrote the directions.
Matt, phishfood, David, others, these guys KNOW what they are talking about.

well, that Matt, now he is from a foreign country, i dont think they had bathrooms over their til 2003..maybe 2004

they used buckets, ;)

Lol I agree with you, the only way to properly learn to do something is through experience. All the book smarts in the world dont suffice to much without experience.

The definition of experience is what you got when you did not get what you wanted .

God bless
Wyr

Back