How to turn this water main off?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whopper

Reaction score
Need to shut off water to the house to replace worn rubber parts in a faucet. Never seen a main valve like that. It has a upper lever which has about 5 degree of free play either way (moved by finger's strength) and a lower tab which is fixed to the housing. Tried to turn the upper lever counter clockwise by hand, and by a wrench (gently, did not want to break anything) but it did not budge. If you know how to turn this off, please let me know. Much appreciated!

qmxu7l.jpg

Last edited:
I am wondering now.... it already has a curb stop valve to cut off water to the house, what is the purpose to have another valve (just like a garden valve with wheel lever) on the other end of water meter, literally inches downstream from the curb valve to do the same job?:confused:

Most cities don't like you messing with their valves...and in my case, my city valve takes three grown men to shut it down. Yeah, I reported it, and the city said it will be 2-3 months before they can send someone out to fix it.

Turn the meter valve all the way to the right (clockwise) with the wrench or meter key. Your home's water supply should now be off.

I am wondering now.... it already has a curb stop valve to cut off water to the house, what is the purpose to have another valve (just like a garden valve with wheel lever) on the other end of water meter, literally inches downstream from the curb valve to do the same job?:confused:

only one answer for that question,

scan0001.jpg

"cause it says so"

Thank you both for your input. It's the regulation I see : one valve to the premise, plus one valve at the discharge of water meter. :)

Back