Shower faucet stem frozen

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpr33

Reaction score
Began with significant leak. After removing handle and escutcheon the stem was rotating easily. I made the mistake of leaving the stem in tight off position and tried to remove cartridge. It was very difficult and I almost stripped my cheap cartridge removal wrench so I stopped. Now the stem is stuck in tight off position. Before I make any more mistakes what should I do. I am inclined to retighten the small amount I "loosened" on the cartridge and see if I can turn stem out of tight off position then more easily remove cartridge. I think it is old? Gerber(sp?) cartridge. Am I on right track?

Pictures help.
Plumbing terms cartridges and stems usually mean different things.

A stem has a bonnet that holds it into the valve. If it was closed when you tried to remove the bonnet it forces the washer on the end of the stem into the seat. It will bust the seat right out the casting. That's not repairable.

screw what ever you tried to force out back in. You might get lucky and with no damage.

Thanks for the help. Right now nothing is leaking and the frozen stem is on the hot side. For time being I will survive with cold showers until I am ready to break into wall and replace whole assembly. Hopefully when I tighten back on bonnet I will be able to turn stem and release it from where it is jammed into seat and then proceed with repair. But I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Thank you Mr David for your patience and advice though us diys hate to hear "not repairable". In looking through many pages of posts on this site I have read many of your helpful comments. Keep up the good work!!! Thanks again on behalf of all you have helped.

Thanks for the help. Right now nothing is leaking and the frozen stem is on the hot side. For time being I will survive with cold showers until I am ready to break into wall and replace whole assembly. Hopefully when I tighten back on bonnet I will be able to turn stem and release it from where it is jammed into seat and then proceed with repair. But I want to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Thank you Mr David for your patience and advice though us diys hate to hear "not repairable". In looking through many pages of posts on this site I have read many of your helpful comments. Keep up the good work!!! Thanks again on behalf of all you have helped.

What a nice fellow. Seems as if he is just full of compliments. You are a good man jpr33.

Latest posts

Back