Septic tank tablets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

obdie

Reaction score
Hi guys, been considering buying some septic tank bacteria products to save money on getting it pumped. Has anyone got any experience with this? Is it worth it? Are there any particularly good products?

You can throw yeast into the toilet. That is about as good as any store bought products.

The big thing is not to put a lot of cleaners containing bleach or anything else that would kill the bacteria. Bacteria are your friend when it comes to septic tanks. I guess Sewer Flies are too as long as they stay put.

Honestly, there is no evidence of enzymes like RidX have any benefits. On the contrary, it is evident in field work that enzymes can cause problems like drainfield clogging due to over breakdown and microorganism overgrowth. Yeast is the fungus candida which is a bacterial competitor. Adding bacteria can have the negative effect of either overgrowth or cannibalistic waste, both add to the solids in the tank.

If you really want to extend pumping intervals, eat more yogurt, use 1 ply toilet paper, cut back on all chemical use including detergents, and allow NO grease to enter the tank (including grease and oil on clothing and body).

I highly recommend to my customers to dump grease into something then wipe grease and oils off pans before washing.

But in a standard system, throwing the grease away instead if dumping is fine.

you never dump grease into any plumbing system, city sewer or septic

I keep a coffee can under the sink to pour grease into.

when it gets full, screw the top on and throw in the garbage

I run a grey water system on my tank.

the toilets run into the tank, sinks, tub, washer bypass the tank

installed tank 10 years ago, it is no where hear full, has never been pumped
1 time every 6 mths, 1 pack yeast is flushed down toilet

120vac40a_rev (1).jpg

I run a grey water system on my tank.

the toilets run into the tank, sinks, tub, washer bypass the tank

So you direct your grey water to bypass the tank and go directly to the leach field? What about food particulates/grease in drained dishwater? Water softener and back flush filter trash?

Is that permitted in your area?

Years ago, my mother-in-law had a plumber (or helper) tell her it was OK to put grease down the drain as it lubricated the disposal. She would not listen to reason after that... :eek:

Guess how many times I had to replace the galvanized spuds on the waste arm due to blockage?

Back