Cast iron & lead joint question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip_Johnson

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Looking for some info to help me get out of a pickle. I'm doing some hubbed cast iron waste line work but I'm having trouble with catching a seal on my joints. I've used oakum and lead several times in the past and never had a problem with it and have never had a joint not be good to go after the first time. I'm using 3 full strands of oakum on each joint and packing them in to allow for the 1 inch depth for the molten lead. Should I be typically using more oakum? Any other suggestions? I've always preferred this method over non-hub installation as it seems that lead joints outlast the pipe itself with old work but this ordeal is really a bummer. Well, thanks for reading.

Honestly I always just use my caulking irons to pack the poured lead. Are you referring to the irons with a sharper chisel-like end?

Hi Frodo. So is using multiple strands possibly compromising the joint? I remember an informal rule of thumb was that the oakum should be packed snugly enough so that two 5 ft sections, once they were packed together on the floor, could be lifted and relocated as needed and the oakum would keep them together. One full strand seems to pack it down past the 1 inch mark just with using the iron by hand? Thanks for your feedback guys!

never seen 5' sections of oakum

oakum-one-strand.jpg

oakum comes strands 18''-24''

1 piece should be sufficient. I think you are not using the correct oakum ?

Oh, i meant two pieces of straight 5ft sections of pipe being joined, not a 5 ft piece of oakum.

As to the why's- it's code here to use cast outside of the house and underground. Guys use the cp44's alot here but not always and I've never had a problem doing lead joints and always viewed them as the most long-lasting out of all the options. I've heard of the ty-seal gaskets but haven't used them, are they pretty reliable?

Oh, i meant two pieces of straight 5ft sections of pipe being joined, not a 5 ft piece of oakum.

As to the why's- it's code here to use cast outside of the house and underground. Guys use the cp44's alot here but not always and I've never had a problem doing lead joints and always viewed them as the most long-lasting out of all the options. I've heard of the ty-seal gaskets but haven't used them, are they pretty reliable?

forget lead, use the ty seal EZTITE

save the lead for making bullets ;)

Back