Main water shutoff question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowwolf

Reaction score
I have a water meter at my house where the shutoff valves are. There are 2 valves one closest to the street and one closest to my house. I had a neighbor tell me to turn the one closest to the street off, because if I break it or something the city will be responsible for it vs if I break the one closest to my house I am responsible. Can someone tell me if he is right or does it matter which one I turn to shut off the water to my house?

I always turn off the house side if I can help it. If that valve haven't been exercised in a while and something happens when I use it (leaks, sticks closed...etc..) then you're up the creek until water commission can get there.

I depends on where you live and the regulations established by the purveyor (utility company).
Locally, for me, there will be a curb valve before any outside or inside meter and water service. The water company is responsible for the curb box and valve and water line from the main to the valve. The entire service after the curb valve is my responsibility, but the water company owns the meter.
A few townships away, the home owner owns the meter and entire service and curb valve to the tap in the water main. And then a few townships away in the other direction, the water company owns the entire service and the meter but the home owner owns the service after the meter whether it's inside or outside in a pit.
So, best bet would be to find out from the water company to be sure.

do not touch the curb cock that is the city side. from meter to house is yours

Is it normal not to have a shutoff valve in my house, i have searched everywhere? The one on the street is the only way to turn off my water. I live in Myrtle Beach SC.

Is it normal not to have a shutoff valve in my house, i have searched everywhere? The one on the street is the only way to turn off my water. I live in Myrtle Beach SC.

So if you have a leak, or worse, you have no way to shut the water off yourself? I would be getting one added ASAP

I have a shutoff valve at the water meter is that sufficient? What would be the approximate cost to have one installed?

So if you have a leak, or worse, you have no way to shut the water off yourself? I would be getting one added ASAP

Well yes that's sufficient but by your post I thought you meant you did not have one in your house at all, just outside at the curb cock

Latest posts

Back