P trap leaking above trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTHokie

Reaction score
Hello,

I am installing a new bathroom vanity and sink. My sink has a 1 1/4 drain, however my outlet at the wall is 1 1/2. The configuration I have right now (all slip joint connections) is the 1 1/4 sink drain coming down to a 1 1/4 extension coupling (threaded one end other end is regular pipe). This connects to my 1 1/2 p trap which connects to the 1 1/2 outlet. To reduce at the p trap I used the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 reducing washer that comes with the p trap. Now for my problem. When I run the sink there are no leaks and everything seems fine. However about 5 minutes later I notice that water seems to be seeping out at the reduction washer and the slip joint connecting the sink to the 1 1/4 extension coupling(which has the wedge shaped washer). The reduction washer is slightly above where the trap water level should be, and the other slip joint is a good 6 inches above that. I am not sure what is causing this back pressure, I would assume that the bigger diameter outlet would theoretically have a lower pressure and would slightly draw the water more that way. Any thoughts?

is the tail peice long enough into the reducing slip nut washer?

is the reducing slip nut washer inserted with the cone down?

the threaded tail piece extension, were the threads pipe doped before assembly.

NOT teflon tape, but pipe dope?

is the trap unlevel? kicked up or in a bind ?

ARE you SURE the water you are seeing is not a small leak from ABOVE that connection ? and running down the pipe to pool at that location?

Last edited:
Hello Frodo,

I believe the tail piece is long enough. Although it does not bottom out into the p trap (since the pipe diameter is smaller) there is still about an inch or two of overlap.

Yes, the reduction washer is cone down. I have noticed that if I really try and tighten the threaded nut down the reduction washer starts to push up and out of the threaded nut.

None of the threads have been doped, my assumption was that these PVC slip joints did not need to be doped. However, I could be completely wrong.

The trap is level. This is one of the first things i checked.

I am also about 99.99% sure that the water is coming up through the washers and not dripping down. I would run the sink for a while and then sit there and watch the joints for about 5 minutes. Nothing seems to leak at all, you start to notice a little water around those washers about 5 minutes after I turn the water off and then it slowly builds.

If it was just the reduction washer I would just assume that the washer doesn't have a tight seal. as that joint is right around the trap water level. However the joint for the extension piece is also doing this, which should be several inches above the trap water level.

No need to dope the threads, that is not where the seal is made. Dope the cone shaped sealing surface on the top of the trap and the extension tube.

BUT they should not leak 5 minutes after you have drained the fixture. Are you sure there is not a clog in the line? Does the sink drain rapidly, or is it sluggish?

could be that he leak is from the pop up assembly seal to the bottom of the sink. The big neoprene washer that seals to the bottom of the sink slides up onto a fine threaded shank that he tighting nut runs up on. I used to get a small leak that would find it's way down the this fine threaded surface. I wipe a little bit of Teflon paste on the threads so water can find its way past the seal on the pop up assembly. wrap a tissue around the drain. it will reveal where it's coming from.

have you got the ptrap backwards?

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.rrP7TV2F8foN80enUa07Mw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0
th

I know this thread is old and dead, posting for educational purposes.

I had the same problem with mine where it leaks just at the joint. Problem is the outlet drain to the wall is slightly higher than that joint (builders mistake). So the water level rises and causes a slow leak.

Caro, that joint should be water tight, even if going slightly uphill.

But you can shorten the sink tailpiece, to be able to push the trap up higher, to create proper slope.

Or in a bath sink, use a 1 1/4 P trap kit, which might sit up a little higher, and not drain uphill.

Meanwhile, ancient thread, hope the poster fixed their issue years ago.

I know this thread is old and dead, posting for educational purposes.

I had the same problem with mine where it leaks just at the joint. Problem is the outlet drain to the wall is slightly higher than that joint (builders mistake). So the water level rises and causes a slow leak.
Got the same problem. Water is bubbling up and leaking 5 mins after, on both ends of extension. How did you solve it?

Give more details, and post some pics of the drain pipes.
Plumbing looks good underneath bathroom sink. We think it looks the same as it was before we added Snappy trap extender. Yet, water bubbles up and out on both ends of hand- tightened extender with supplied washers, minutes AFTER the water is turned off. Is there an issue with the level of things? Nothing but the addition of an extender has really changed. Thanks for your help! Debi

https://ibb.co/h1575X1
h1575X1

I've never seen these before but looking at the diagram, I would make sure there is a washer sitting on the inside of those follower nuts.
And I would also make sure they are facing the correct way.
712D8edwpUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
EDIT: Do not over tighten them. If the washers look a bit distorted, I would start with new washers. Hand tighten without too much force. Let water run. If leaking, tighten a bit more until leak stops.

EDIT2: Note that the top washer may be a transition washer. One that fits over the original 1-1/4" drain pipe but made to go into the 1-1/2" extension tube.

Last edited:
I've never seen these before but looking at the diagram, I would make sure there is a washer sitting on the inside of those follower nuts.
And I would also make sure they are facing the correct way.
View attachment 23582
EDIT: Do not over tighten them. If the washers look a bit distorted, I would start with new washers. Hand tighten without too much force. Let water run. If leaking, tighten a bit more until leak stops.

EDIT2: Note that the top washer may be a transition washer. One that fits over the original 1-1/4" drain pipe but made to go into the 1-1/2" extension tube.

It worked!! Think the washer was pinched. Realigned and didn't tighten too much. Thanks!

Back