Toilet suggestion

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Partsman41953

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to replace the toilet in my downstairs half bath. I am looking for an elongated toilet. I am looking for a decent toilet that will flush and stay clean. I have been looking at Toto, American Standard, Kohler and Delta but the more I look the more confused I am getting. Please let me know which brand and model you would suggest and where would be the best place to purchase it price-wise.

Thanks.

I don't really like American Standard toilets. You can get a Toto Drake elongated with SanaGloss. The Sanagloss is supposed to prevent particles from clinging to the bowl as much, but isn't effective if you have a lot of sediment in your water. Another more expensive option is the Drake II (elongated with Sanagloss). It has a better bowlwash but not as great of a flush capacity. The Drake 1 has a 3-inch flap/drain and has a MAP score around 900. It is dual flush so you can hold the lever down to only use some of the tank's contents for lighter flushes and a full flush for heavier duty. It doesn't splash and it flushes very well. I've had a Drake 1 since 2008 and its a lot better than the old toilets we had.

Big box stores don't carry Toto, but places like Coburn's should have it.

Not sure about down there, but up here American Standard toilets are now made by Crane. Totally ruined the Cadet 3.

I really only have experience with the commercial American Standard toilets in stores. They always splash the daylights out of me when they flush-- if they have a powerful flush. Other ones just barely flush.

I am really impressed with American standard champion and cadet. Powerful flushers, easy as it comes to install, tall an comfy like thrones. They cost us about $250 at our supply house, but there is a western pottery that we have heard a lot of good things about that only cost us about $120.

Ok, I just gained experience with a non-commercial American Standard toilet. They installed it at Autozone. I don't know what model it is, but it is absolutely terrible. When I tried to flush, it just kept shredding the toilet paper and kicking it back up. I flushed it 3 times and it still wouldn't get rid of the paper-- and I didn't use very much of it. I talked to the manager and suggested that they replace the toilets with something better.

Latest posts

Back