Any general contractors out there?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackbarry

Reaction score
Any general contractors out there? I need some sound advice with regards to starting my own biz. Thanks in advance!

I am a general engineering contractor? Class A in the state of California, what are your questions?

I am a general engineering contractor? Class A in the state of California, what are your questions?

Hi, Chris!

Thanks for coming back. I'm looking of starting up my own general plumbing supply business. Do you have any tips? Thanks in advance! All the best!

Hi, Chris!

Thanks for coming back. I'm looking of starting up my own general plumbing supply business. Do you have any tips? Thanks in advance! All the best!

Jack, you need to ask specific question's.:)
i know Chris will answer, but, he is not going to type out every thing he knows, in a long thesis

generic tip

surround yourself with trust worthy people
do what you say,

this business is word of mouth,,you try and screw people you wont last a year

First, you don't need to be a contractor to open a supply company, second a General Contractor is going to have a whole lot les knowledge on plumbing supply than these plumbers here. As for owning your own business this is what I can tell you.

Be Honest
Keep your pricing fair
If you say you are going to do something, do it
Have parts on hand, nobody like waiting a week to fix a repair of common materials

Any specifics you need?

One thing I have learned in life. If you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people. Their thinking is different than most.

What do you envision your supply house being? Higher margin, with lower volume, or lower margin, with higher volume? Will you try to cater more to service plumbers, or new construction? Will you sell to plumbers only, or to the man off the street as well?

These are just some of the things I as a plumber can think of.

Jack, you need to ask specific question's.:)
i know Chris will answer, but, he is not going to type out every thing he knows, in a long thesis

generic tip

surround yourself with trust worthy people
do what you say,

this business is word of mouth,,you try and screw people you wont last a year

Hi, there.

Thanks for coming back and apologies for not being specific. I guess, I'm too excited bout my business plans. :) Haha

Well, I'm planning to start my own plumbing supply store.

What should I consider when coming up with a business plan?
How much should be my capital?
What should I consider when hiring employees?
What should be my marketing approach?
Should I invest SEO (been hearing about this lately)?

Thanks a lot! Would appreciate if you'd some stuff that I failed to mention.

Kind regards!

What do you envision your supply house being? Higher margin, with lower volume, or lower margin, with higher volume? Will you try to cater more to service plumbers, or new construction? Will you sell to plumbers only, or to the man off the street as well?

These are just some of the things I as a plumber can think of.

Hi,

Thanks for coming back to me. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed and dazed as well. I don't know where to start. Can you somewhat help me start from scratch? Thanks a bunch, everyone. Newbie entrepreneur here.

One thing I have learned in life. If you want to be successful, surround yourself with successful people. Their thinking is different than most.

Yeah. I agree on this one. Now, if I can just find those successful people. Haha. Anyway, kidding aside. I totally agree with this. Thanks a lot!

First, you don't need to be a contractor to open a supply company, second a General Contractor is going to have a whole lot les knowledge on plumbing supply than these plumbers here. As for owning your own business this is what I can tell you.

Be Honest
Keep your pricing fair
If you say you are going to do something, do it
Have parts on hand, nobody like waiting a week to fix a repair of common materials

Any specifics you need?

Thanks for this. I'm also thinking of the equipment, permit, and other stuff. Do you have anything in mind? Thanks again. Appreciate!

go to a local plumbing supply house. look around.

you will need venders, better get started on your applications for credit,

find a salesmen in the supply house..talk

you will need a big building with yard space\and delivery dock
trucks for delivery
fork lift/ pallet jacks
material racks
banding machine
covered storage, pvc does not like sun

Last edited:
Hi Jackbarry, here are the answers to your questions:

1. Before coming out with any business plan, have a close look on what your competitors are doing.
2. Your capital depends on you, as how much can you invest in your business.
3. Before hiring any employees, have a close look on their work experience and work they had done in their past.
4. SEO is important factor to make your business got searched nationwide. For eg, you may list your business on sme good business directory like: https://porch.com/new-york-ny/plumbers/cp

Back