How long is TOO LONG FOR HOT WATER TO KITCHEN SINK?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enduroman

Reaction score
Just did a major renovation to my home and plumbing contractor talked me into consolidating two existing hot water tanks into 1 new fancy one. I expressed concerns about how far physically it would be from the kitchen and he told me it would not be an issue. Renovation is complete (plumber was WAY over budget) and we are now waiting 56 seconds for the first trace of warm water at the kitchen sink. It is hot by 60 seconds.
Plumber tells me this is normal. Is there a code for this? How far is too far? I'm feeling ripped off here but don't have much ammunition. Any advice is appreciated.

I don't know if it is distance. My hot water heater is less than 50 feet away from my kitchen sink and bathroom sinks but it takes 1 to 2 minutes for the water to start running hot. I think the bathtub is within 5 feet of the hot water and it takes that long to heat.

Maybe it is the type of heater? I really have no idea. I hope one of the experts can weigh in.

56 seconds. really?

what do you think is a reasonable amount oF time?

look,,I dont know the layout of your house,

but any one knows the farther the water heater is from the source the longer it will take to get hot water to sink.

if you house was plumbed for 2 water heaters, it should have been left that way
OR a circulation system installed

but 56 seconds? really? is 56 seconds that long?

all it takes is money..with a undercounter circ pump you can cut it down to almost 0 seconds

My kitchen is on the opposite side of my house from the WH as well.
I was curious this morning after reading your post as to how long it takes for my kitchen water to get warm. I ran it for 2 mins . :confused:
My water heater was cold. :confused:
Pilot went out.
ODD.
Well I relit it! Would of sucked if I discovered that when I went to take a shower later.

Grundfos makes a system that does not require a 3rd designated return line to recirculate the hot water.

you add a pump to the hot side of the water heater and a connect a small block valve under your kitchen sink.

Grundfos Comfort System

Thanks for the replies folks. Frodo, your ridicule is not really that helpful. Really. Why don't you just sit this one out in your hobbit hole. Thanks

Waiting for a full minute is about twice as long as I've ever waited in any place I've owned. I'm feeling a little ripped off because I expressed concern about this exact issue to the plumber before this project began and he assured me it would not be an issue. Had he been honest with me, or knowledgeable about such matters, he would (should) have recommended that we wire a 15 amp circuit while the house was gutted, to the kitchen sink area just in case we needed to install a pony tank. That, or run a second pex line for a circulation system. I'm not that fond of those because it seems like an excessive energy consumer, more than negating the energy savings from the high-efficiency heater. Just guessing here.

This would be easier to live with if I did not have 3 little kids, which necessitate very frequent demand from our kitchen sink, and the fact that we have an ancient septic field which makes us conscious of every unnecessary gallon of water through our house. All of which the plumber was fully aware of before starting this project.

If it comes down to it Mr. David, I will look into that system. Thank you!

The comfort system is easy to install. It also has a timer.
you just need an outlet near the WH

So, would that plug in under the sink or something? I'm trying to figure out how it works. Would there have to be one at each fixture?

I wonder if the Watts brand one is any good. It was less expensive on Amazon... $199... but I don't know if it has all of the same features as the Grundfos.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JG81AQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

vs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E78XHG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any opinions?

(not trying to hijack, just that it would be very very nice to have hot water instantly-- my tub starts to fill up when I'm trying to get the water to heat up for a shower).

Last edited by a moderator:
in the grand scheme of things, I do not see 60 seconds as a long time to wait to for hot water.

BUT,,, with the water shortage in California, I can see that as a concern.

I have heard that grundfos comfort is a very good circulation system

I used the grundfos comfort system to fix this exact issue I had in my bathroom... The timer on the pump is great and instant hot water is the best especially in the winter or in your case the kitchen when you always need warm/hot water

So, would that plug in under the sink or something? I'm trying to figure out how it works. Would there have to be one at each fixture?

I wonder if the Watts brand one is any good. It was less expensive on Amazon... $199... but I don't know if it has all of the same features as the Grundfos.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JG81AQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

vs

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E78XHG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Any opinions?

(not trying to hijack, just that it would be very very nice to have hot water instantly-- my tub starts to fill up when I'm trying to get the water to heat up for a shower).
yes, point of use, i hook them up to the light switch

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back