CPVC to ABS or PVC Transition

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letithappen

Reaction score
I'm working on a fairly odd project. I am converting a Super Soaker's pressure chamber from air pressure to a rubber bladder, ala some of the old 90s/y2k blasters.

Anyway, the only product I could find that would work was a 1/2 in CPVC to male threaded brass transition seen in the picture below next to some stainless steel hose clamps and the rubber bladder:
attachment.php

The CPVC end fits inside the super soaker, which I'm 99% certain is ABS, as seen below:
attachment.php

Now, I've seen that there is an ABS to PVC transition cement, but does this work with CPVC to ABS? If not is there something else that would work? In the case that there isn't, is there a PVC equivalent of the CPVC to Brass transition piece that I purchased? I can't find it anywhere online or at Lowes, but I'm not experienced in this sort of thing.

Thanks well in advance.

image2.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
There are three plastic plumbing pipes that are put together with glue. They are ABS, PVC, and CPVC pipes. We don’t really call it glue, but solvent-cement. None of the plumbing cements are interchangeable, each one is specific for its pipe.

Each pipe is joined with its own cement. One exception is transition cement, used to weld ABS pipe and PVC pipe together. This transition cement is green in color so it's easy to recognize. The other exception is all-purpose cement which can be used to join any of the three pipes to each other.

You may wonder why one would purchase transition cement to join ABS and PVC when all purpose cement will do that and more. The answer is simple, when I join ABS and PVC on an inspected job my inspector will want to see green glue. How else could he be certain the joint was made properly? Frankly, I would make the same call.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, I would use transition cement if I can find this part in PVC, and all purpose cement if I cannot and then have to bond ABS to CPVC? Thank you.

Will "all purpose" cement work to bond PVC to CPVC? Is there a primer that is needed? If primer is not needed, can it still be used? (I'm thinking of the purple primer because I read somewhere that the inspectors will look for the purple to be sure that things are joined, but I don't know how accurate that is).

Letithappen, it seems you have an interesting project. Please let us know how it turns out.

This is what I'm looking at getting, http://www.oatey.com/products/plast...rs/oatey-specialty-cements/all-purpose-cement, just wanted to make sure this is what will work before I start putting parts together. The PSI of the system will be around 30, which I don't think is really all that much so long as the parts are securely cemented together.

If anyone else is interested in these sorts of projects, we have an online community over at http://waterwar.net/forum/index.php, and Super Soaker Central has some really cool projects at http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/ including pvc water balloon launchers and hobbyist water cannons like this one

sc16.jpg

Range is over 70 feet.

Thanks again guys. I wasn't sure there was a way to bond cpvc and abs together.

Oatey Purple Primer/Cleaner

•Purple-tinted all purpose primer/cleaner for PVC and CPVC pipe and fittings.
•Meets California South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) 1168/316A or BAAQMD Method 40 and various environmental requirements.
•Less aggressive than clear primer and purple primer.
•Removes surface dirt, grease and grime for preparation before solvent cementing.
•Always check local codes for acceptability of this produc

the use of primer on abs...is not recomended...no do it.

whoa up! don go another futher,,,no primer on abs..

Oh, I wasn't going to use that, I linked to the "Oatey All Purpose Cement."

It says:

Medium-bodied milky-clear cement for use on all schedules and classes of ABS, PVC and CPVC* pipe and fittings up to 12” diameter with interference fit.

Letithappen, I think Frodo was mentioning primer because I asked about it.

That looks awesome!!

Water balloon launchers sound cool.

My father once built a device to suck up water and capture small sea life for study. He made it out of a round clear tube of plexiglass and some other plexiglass parts. It could also be used to force water out, but I don't think it sprayed as hard as a supersoaker.

Thanks for the info, Frodo!

Latest posts

Back