Well pump problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sailorman3

Reaction score
I have a 18 foot well at my cottage. I installed a on demand well pump last year that is digitally controlled so there is not need for a pressure tank. Had no problems all of last year. I drained the pump and system for the winter. When I started the system up for this year, the pump control pressureized the system and then when a tap was turned on the pump control went into failure and the pump shut off. This happens all the time. I primed and bled the system many times. I installed a new foot valve, changed all the lines to the well and even installed a new pump. Still the same problem. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

If you changed the pump and all the plumbing including a new foot valve, what could be left except electricity. You don't have one of these do you?

download.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that is exactly what I have. It seems that it has air in the line that I just can't get out. I'm going to call the pump company today to ask them for advice.

You have already replaced everything except the part that is causing the problem. Get rid of that masscontrol type controller and get a regular pressure switch and a little pressure tank. I hope you are not asking for advice from the same people that sold you that controller? They don't have a clue.

I hope you are not asking for advice from the same people that sold you that controller? They don't have a clue.
I'll second that advice!
I went on two service calls years ago that had those devices on them and both jobs had burned up motors because of them.

Speedbump, your pump & well link in your signature leads to a page with error 404. Did the page move?

sailorman3, I hope you can get the problem fixed.

Is the cycle stop valve what controls when the water should stop filling the holding tank? Or does it control the water pumping out of the tank?

Speedbump, your pump & well link in your signature leads to a page with error 404. Did the page move?
I am in the process of updating my website and forum. It's a mess rite now. Hopefully by the weekend it will be back to normal and I can straighten up links etc. Thanks.

A Cycle Stop Valve controls the flow coming out of the pump to make it match the amount being used. That way there is no extra water left to fill the pressure tank and cause cycling. When you finally turn off all the faucets, the CSV will then let the pressure tank fill and the pressure switch shuts off the pump.

The CSV will work on a well pump or a booster pumping out of a cistern tank. But normally with a cistern storage tank set up, the well pump feeds the cistern directly and doesn't need a CSV. However, some people put a CSV on the well pump also, so they can use it directly to the house if the booster pump at the cistern fails.

A Cycle Stop Valve controls the flow coming out of the pump to make it match the amount being used. That way there is no extra water left to fill the pressure tank and cause cycling. When you finally turn off all the faucets, the CSV will then let the pressure tank fill and the pressure switch shuts off the pump.

The CSV will work on a well pump or a booster pumping out of a cistern tank. But normally with a cistern storage tank set up, the well pump feeds the cistern directly and doesn't need a CSV. However, some people put a CSV on the well pump also, so they can use it directly to the house if the booster pump at the cistern fails.

Ok. Thanks for explaining that. I need to start learning more about the pump and well systems so I can have a better understanding of my own setup.

Back