Still leaks after new valves

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHAOTIC1

Reaction score
I have a leak from my tub/shower spout. I replaced both the hot and cold valves and seats. I bought a generic valve equivalent, for Price Pfister, it was PP-493, 58084 from Home Depot. When I removed the old valves, the seals were completely blown so I figured that was the problem. I replaced the seats and valves, turned the water back on and the leak is still there.

This leak is a trickle coming out of the spout and not anywhere else. What am I missing?
Thanks

I have a leak from my tub/shower spout. I replaced both the hot and cold valves and seats. I bought a generic valve equivalent, for Price Pfister, it was PP-493, 58084 from Home Depot. When I removed the old valves, the seals were completely blown so I figured that was the problem. I replaced the seats and valves, turned the water back on and the leak is still there.

This leak is a trickle coming out of the spout and not anywhere else. What am I missing?
Thanks

did you replace a pp493 with parts from a pp493

or did you replace it with parts from an equivelent

I took the old valve to Home Depot and matched it up. The new valve was made by partsmasterpro (pm)p. I didn't see any markings on the old valve, just matched it based on appearance. The valve was entirely new with a new O-Ring and new seat, all of which I installed.

long time ago I used to get a leaker now and then. sometimes the seats don't make a good seal when you replace them. I use a little Teflon thread sealant on the seat threads. just a little. I swipe the threads with the hole through the seat pinched between thumb and finger. Then I wipe it clean with a rag leaving only a thin line under the back matting surface of the seat and IN the threads. you don't want that getting on the bib washer. some guys use Teflon tape. just a 1 or 2 wraps and keep it off the seats head.

check the washer , make sure you didn't get some debris caught on it, like a pc of the old washer.

So I had a plumber come out today. He redid everything I had done and the leak is still there. He suggested replacing my 3 valve system for a single Moen style and using a Smitty Plate to cover the holes in the tile. Is the single valve set-up easier to replace than the existing 3 valve set-up?

Oh, and in my previous posts when I said I replaced the valves with new ones, I meant I replaced the cartridges.

Moen is a good choice. That's what I'd do. It's a pretty user friendly set up, something you could do yourself in the future without issues

Is this a constant leak or just a few minutes after a shower?

Good question. 3 handle PP valve often drip for a bit after turning off.
After using shower make sure you turn diverter to allow water in shower riser to drain out.

Moen Positemp with a Smitty plates is what I use as well. Moen valves are small and easier to retro into a limited access area. If in a multi unit building you need to install with integral stops. If in a single family home you don't need them.

sometimes the seats don't make a good seal when you replace them. I use a little Teflon thread sealant on the seat threads. just a little. I swipe the threads with the hole through the seat pinched between thumb and finger. Then I wipe it clean with a rag leaving only a thin line under the back matting surface of the seat and IN the threads. you don't want that getting on the bib washer. some guys use Teflon tape. just a 1 or 2 wraps and keep it off the seats head.

Took a picture of one I just did

005.jpg

I had a single Moen valve installed and everything works fine. The female threads on the cold side (cartridge seat) of the old three valve system, were messed up. It looked like the valve seat had been cross threaded when it was last installed. So new Moen valve with a single Moen plate and no more leak. Thank you for the responses.

Back