Free standing sink hung from drywall anchors in apartment ripped off wall

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discord

Reaction score
My sink ripped off the wall in the bathroom in my apartment. I've been afraid to bring it to the attention of my landlords, because they have taken extremely large security deposits from me (without mention on the lease). I'm now moving out and been considering attempting a repair with friends, to avoid getting ripped off. From my perspective, a free standing sink shouldn't be hung from drywall anchors. If I do report it to the landlord, and request they repair it at their cost, do I have any legal grounds to stand on? I live in Washington State / Seattle, and the rents and landlords from my opinion have been terrible.

sink.jpg

Last edited:
Does the replacement have to be a wall hung? You might want to consider going with a cheap vanity base and lavatory and patch the drywall. You could even reuse the same faucet but that looks like the cheapest faucet on the market. Go with a mid range contemporary looking faucet and the landlord might be so impressed with the install and refund 100% of your security deposit.

A wall hung should not be installed on drywall.

vanitytop.jpg

If the sink was installed incorrectly (which it was) the landlord should be the one that is responsible for replacement. I don't know how it broke and I don't want to know. Since it was installed incorrectly it could of hurt you or someone else. Not your fault.

I agree with the others on this one. That was an installer error and was a safety hazard from the beginning. Manufacturer installation instructions will confirm if there are any doubts. The landlord should have it properly installed with no cost to you. He's lucky that there was no personal injury or property damage due to the poor installation.

The problem with installing a free standing sink is that I'd have to raise it from the standard height quite a few inches to cover the hole. Then it looks like it really necessitates a drywall repair. However the drywall was hung pretty funny. I do think it was installed hokey, but not sure if I want to go to court to get my deposit back. Really on the wall regarding this one.

No point in replacing an improper install with another improper install. Wall hung sinks require backing, and pedestal sinks also require backing.

Chances are it was a wall hung sink because it was meant to be wheelchair accessable. There's no reason to keep dragging this on, your landlord screwed the pooch and you could have been hurt. His job is to get that back on the wall, as you are paying for a working bathroom

Back