Open Sewer Line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver

Reaction score
We recently purchased our house and I found this behind some bushes (see attached photo). I'm guessing that this is the cleanout for the sewer line.

Why was it left open? (I seem to remember reading that it should be left open to protect your house from backup of the sewer) Should I close it?

What about all the debris? Is this just a remnant from when someone cleaned it out or it it something to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Sewer.jpg

Looks like it was just set on there and there was a back up that pushed it off.

Mine have always been screwed on?

In reality yes the sewage will come out there before the tubs in your house but I don't know if it is legal or a good idea to leave it open.

you have been had!!!!! that is open to give the line some where to go.

I call it giving it relief.

that stuff on the ground is toilet paper,,,you have a sewer that is backing up, the top ws left off so it would not be noticed during the selling phase of the house

contact your Realtor. discuss with them,,,full disclosure

with the top off,,thats proof ,the owner new their was a problem,,,

Hmm, we've been here for about 10 months and haven't noticed a problem.

with the top off the cleanout. you will not notice a problem. thats why its called relief

put the top on, and your sewer will back up

simple explanation...

you have a straw,,,the end of the straw is stuck in mud. and it has a hole in it. [dog bit it]:D

you pour water in the straw and it runs out the hole ;) [the cleanout]

plug the hole in the straw :eek: [put the cap on]\

when you fill the straw it will get full.:eek:.[[back up in your toilet]

HOW DO I KNOW YOUR SEWER WILL BACK UP?????

who am I a Genie?

NO< the paper on the ground tells me it has backed up before
did it one time, it will do it again

Hmm, sounds like we at least need to have someone scope the sewer line and see what's up. Any downside to leaving it open?

Thanks.

Yes, debris and animals can get into your sewer and cause a backup, if you don't already have one. If you do have a backup now or in the future, raw untreated sewage will flow out onto the ground. This is not only a health hazard, and smelly, but it is also illegal.

Back