Loose obsolete ABS fitting adapter, how to fit?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn345

Reaction score
I'm putting a drain pipe on bathroom sink in my trailer. The old (wall) pipe is 1 1/4 abs. I finally found a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch adapter. The 1 1/2 inch side fits fine, the 1 1/4 side is a bit loose. I can't quite fit a fingernail in the loose gap but it is sloppy. It's a gap the thickness of 4 - 5 pieces of paper. Or (point) .25 mm looseness gap. What can I do to ensure no leaks?

I doubt very much if I can find a different make of 1 1/4 adapter. & it may be a smaller outside diameter pipe than standard for all I know. I did get the adapter from an RV supply place. Took the guy a while to locate one.

Will extra glue work? Or glue then fiberglass mesh tape w/glue on the outside?

Yes, it's ABS to ABS.

Thanks for any help if you can.

Last edited:
are you trying to hook up a p trap to the pipe comining out of the wall?

what ever size pipe that is coming out of the wall...picture would REALLY help out

you need a 1 1/2'' trap adapter

you glue it on the pipe,,,it has threads on one end...the trap slides inside it and a nut/washer tightens up

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/x/14261/662671104694_ca.jpg

Here's the pics. (I hope)

I have all parts. I am gluing a 1 1/2 inch straight pipe to a 1/14 inch straight pipe. Both are ABS.
The problem is the 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 adapter is a little loose on the 1 1/4 side. How do I get a good joint there? More glue?
I can fit 4 layers of plain paper in the joint. Not 5. That would be (point) .25mm

The second part is 2 peices glued together- a sleeve (wrong word? straight coupler?) and an adapter.

2DSC_0001_1220.jpg

2DSC_0002_1221.jpg

Last edited:
Technically you are downsizing a drainage pipe, which is against code. That tee should be cut out and replaced with 1 1/2" or just use 1 1/4 pipe and trap.

The 1 1/2 inch side fits fine, the 1 1/4 side is a bit loose.

what is the actual outside diameter of the pipe coming out of sanitary tee.

I doubt very much if I can find a different make of 1 1/4 adapter. & it may be a smaller outside diameter pipe than standard for all I know. I did get the adapter from an RV supply place. Took the guy a while to locate one.

Thanks for any help if you can.

I see now you did go to a trailer supply

Thanks for your time guys!

Basically I'm trying to get a joint tighter. The 1 1/4 side of the adapter is loose when it fits on the 1 1/4 pipe. .25mm loose- not very much. The thickness of 4 layers of paper. How can I fit this?

More glue?

glue then cloth then more glue on the male end?

Glue, dry then seal?

What is the best mess or botched job you have ever taken seen? How was it put together? The pipe is not standard and the adapter is no longer manufactured as far as 3 plumbing supply places and one RV supply shop can tell. ALSO, If that pipe is not standard then chances are if I cut in and use another T that other pipe might not be standard either.

It's my bathroom sink drain- no pressure, and personally I'm OK with it not being up to code. I just don't want it to leak. Anybody have a creative idea that might work?

Back