Continuing to contract after losing business license

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprite

Reaction score
Let's say a licensed master plumber has his own one man business where he goes around on his own work truck doing service work at people's homes. He works 30-40 hours a week Monday through Friday and about 90% of the calls he does are repeat customers.

But then, for some reason or another, he loses his business livense.

So he figures:

"No problem, In ten years in business never once has a homeowner asked to see my license. And I don't even advertise, most of my new customers are word of mouth referrals and write ups on community websites singing my praises. Pays to be that good. And the IRS doesn't give a rats patooty about it as long as I pay taxes on it. So yeah, this loss of my business license means nothing. I think I'll keep answering my phone and doing work as usual."

In the hypothetical event that I, I mean, some random plumber, lost their business license, could they get caught? If so what are the consequences if he loses his business license, but they just keep catching him doing service calls as usual?

Well, if he's not putting it thru business I would imagine he's not paying the taxes. He also probably doesn't hold proper insurance and is putting his customers at risk if something goes wrong.

I don't own a business but I'm sure there's more to go wrong

In So Cal, they often hold stings, where someone will ask for a quote from inside a home. Once the worker comes to the door, a business license is asked for, while the law dogs are hiding behind the door. If you don't show a business license, your next stop is in the pokey, with news cameras in your face.

I think an important question would be Why did he lose his license? That would set the precedent for all other questions and answers that follow.

Knew a guy. His dad was a plumber back in Idaho. So he grew up in the Plmbg business. Inherited a bit of money. Went to Phoenix,AZ.
A couple yrs later he came back here with 3 trucks because they ran him out. Couldn't work there. Maybe lasted a yr or 2 here. shut him down.
That was 1stKlass Plumbing.
Reopened with a new name . he was doing a lot of that home warranty insurance repairs.Haven't seen him around for awhile. They caught up to him again I think.

you can get away with repair work,,doing little sh-stuff.

drain cleaning and such. because it is not inforced.

but if you try and install new work, your gonna get busted and fined

the first time, if caught the 2nd time, you could possibly be incarcerated

what your doing is called "side work" or "jack leg"

IF were to catch you.

i would call the inspector...his name is Monty, like to Bream fish...

unlicensed and jack legs in our profession. are the ones that give us a bad name.

that is why you see posts that are wearey of being cheated or scammed

It is a handyman who thinks he knows plumbing, because he saw a plumber

hook up a sink,,,
they know nothing about proper venting '
all a handy man knows is "put a air admits on it"

sorry to hijack,,,,this subject pisses me off

I moved to Florida over 30 years ago. Kept my Michigan Well Drilling licence for a long time, then decided I didn't need it and let it go. I got the Florida Drillers License 30 years ago but don't drill any more and don't need it to do Pump Work. About 15 years ago, they started the continuing education stuff and that's when I dropped the Florida License. We have been in the same store front for almost 30 years doing business as usual, have a great client base, satisfied customers and we do good honest work. A license doesn't make the man or the business, but those who are or were licensed had to prove they knew what they were doing to get that license. That's the big difference in my opinion.

I moved to Florida over 30 years ago. Kept my Michigan Well Drilling licence for a long time, then decided I didn't need it and let it go. I got the Florida Drillers License 30 years ago but don't drill any more and don't need it to do Pump Work. About 15 years ago, they started the continuing education stuff and that's when I dropped the Florida License. We have been in the same store front for almost 30 years doing business as usual, have a great client base, satisfied customers and we do good honest work. A license doesn't make the man or the business, but those who are or were licensed had to prove they knew what they were doing to get that license. That's the big difference in my opinion.

true,

to me, your license means you could read and pass a test.

are educated as to the PROPER installation requirements

and standards that protect the health and welfare of the public.

true,

to me, your license means you could read and pass a test.

are educated as to the PROPER installation requirements

and standards that protect the health and welfare of the public.
My sentiments exactly!

Another point to consider, is that someone who used to be licensed but isn't anymore, isn't taking the continuing education necessary to keep the license. While a lot of the CE stuff is a joke, it does provide an avenue for you to learn about new technologies and codes that are introduced.

Also, if you don't have the necessary license, how are you getting liability insurance? Even if your insurance company doesn't check, will they pay out if something goes wrong, and they find out you aren't licensed? Will your customer's homeowner's insurance pay out if something happens and they find out you don't have a license?

Another point to consider, is that someone who used to be licensed but isn't anymore, isn't taking the continuing education necessary to keep the license. While a lot of the CE stuff is a joke, it does provide an avenue for you to learn about new technologies and codes that are introduced.
That's just it. I don't need a license to repair or install water pumps, tanks or water filtration. We have always been kind of left out of the loop. Continuing education for me is a joke because I don't drill wells anymore and that's what the classes are about. If I were going to drill again, I would be using Cable tool instead of Rotary which is the direction drilling has been going for quite a few years. I don't like Rotary's and wouldn't consider using one. The Well Drillers code was written in our County by a Manufacturers Rep on one page of paper. It's not hard to keep up with our code.

Some of us old farts don't want to keep up with technology as we know the old ways and products were far superior to what's being sold today.

That's just it. I don't need a license to repair or install water pumps, tanks or water filtration. We have always been kind of left out of the loop. Continuing education for me is a joke because I don't drill wells anymore and that's what the classes are about. If I were going to drill again, I would be using Cable tool instead of Rotary which is the direction drilling has been going for quite a few years. I don't like Rotary's and wouldn't consider using one. The Well Drillers code was written in our County by a Manufacturers Rep on one page of paper. It's not hard to keep up with our code.

Some of us old farts don't want to keep up with technology as we know the old ways and products were far superior to what's being sold today.

To the part in bold, that DEFINITELY isn't the case in the plumbing field. With the exception of copper piping, and to a lesser extent galvanized, both for water supply, today's technologies and codes, in my opinion, are vastly superior to those of the past.

In Pennsylvania, two regions have very specific plumbing codes and licensing guidelines and the rest of the state is (generally) IPC. An IPC licensed plumber is still not allowed to work in Allegheny County (Pittsburgh) or Philadelphia unless they have passed the local tests. My plumber friends who have worked hard over the years to get their license before the rest of PA even required an education are being being done in by other plumbers who come across the borders to do cheaper work...both price and quality...and without inspections. The Health Department inspectors look for the plain white trucks and vans with pipe on their roof and do their best to enforce our regulations, but can't catch them all.
That's why I will police the area in my travels and if I see what I suspect is an unlicensed plumber working in the area, I will report him. Our inspectors have been known to leave their cards on the windshields of vehicles just to let plumbers know of their presence throughout the community.

Latest posts

Back