Need a socket with 3" depth

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaekim

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm trying to install a cartridge and I need about 3" depth for the bolt part. The maximum outer diameter for the socket is 13/16". The socket size is 5/8".

I looked at Home Depot and Harbor Freight, as well as online. The deep well sockets at these stores are too short, and nothing seemed suitable online.

I tried looking at the faucet cartridge remover tool, but it's too wide.

I'll be visiting more stores, but can anybody suggest where I may be able to find a socket or remover like this?

:)

Sorry. Here you go. The 5/8" part is the nut part at about 1.25" on the tape measure. The maximum outer diameter of 13/16" is for the hole that the cartridge goes in.

20150228_094814.jpg

Last edited:
I can't understand why one of these valve sockets wouldn't work. I mean, this is exactly what they were designed to remove??

shower valve wrenches.jpg

I bought one of these, but the smallest one does not fit in the hole that the cartridge goes in. The diameter of the hole is 13/16".

The one I got was from Harbor Freight. I also looked at one from Home Depot, but that also looked like it was too big.

Also, a 5/8" socket fits the cartridge perfectly. The smallest in the above tool is 21/32. It's only 1/32" larger but there was quite a bit of play - I was surprised. I'm sure it will still turn the cartridge, though.

Last edited:
With the 10 options on the five sockets, surely one must fit this. Looking closely at the common sizes, one is 21/32, which is 1/32 larger than 5/8th. That should work just fine.

Yes, I did say above that the 21/32" will probably work. That's not the problem. The problem is that the 21/32" tool will not fit into the hole that the cartridge goes in.

That's OK, Havasu. It seems like I usually edit my posts because I think of things to add, and that certainly affects what you see.

I do appreciate your responses, though. It shows you care :)

Maybe time to seek out a real plumbing store. If they don't have it or can't get it, it probably isn't made.

Just thinking, a 5/8th size is a common spark plug socket. I do know they make extra deep, thin wall sockets for plugs, so maybe a good automotive supply store?

You have already had the correct tool. The stem wrench set is what you need to complete your repair. MAKE THE HOLE BIGGER SO THE TOOL FITS IN! Easy. That is how we do it everyday.

Thanks for the suggestions Havasu.

I wish it was that easy, SHR :) The cartridge slides into a casing and there is a seal between the cartridge and the casing to prevent water from flowing out. You can see the seal (o-ring) at about 1/2" mark of the tape measure in the picture above.

Hey, Havasu, that was a great suggestion about the spark plug socket! I looked online and I see they have 4" and longer. I just need to verify the outside diameter, but there is hope now! :)

...but as SHR's comment reflects, are you sure you will be able to remove it out of the hole once it is unscrewed?

Yeah, I can remove it once it's unscrewed. The tip of the cartridge sticks out of the hole a little bit.

My unclear description has led you guys the wrong way. Sorry about that.

I think you do not understand what you need to do to repair your leak. First, you do not have a "cartridge". You have a basic faucet stem. The casing you refer to is the remainder of the stem itself. You are describing the inside half of the stem as a "cartridge". Not the case. Make the hole big enough to allow the wrench in and remove the remainder of your stem. This is a typical faucet stem repair scenario. As I originally stated, this is what we service plumbers do everyday. Good luck with the repair.

Hi SHR. You're right - I'm not familiar with plumbing terminology :) Anyhow, here's a picture since that will show more clearly the situation. Let me keep calling it by my names so I don't get confused. You can correct me after seeing the picture.

The "cartridge" is the part I pulled out of the chrome "casing." The cartridge consists of two pieces that screw on to each other. The outer piece is the fat portion on the left side, and the inner piece runs the whole length of the cartridge with the rubber gasket at the left end and the square broach at the right end.

Anyhow, you can see the two chrome casings on either side of the faucet. I was able to get one cartridge out (the left side) but I can't get a good grip on the right side cartridge with the 5/8" socket I have.

I didn't want to ruin the chrome casing to get the cartridge out, because then I would have to put a new casing in. It seemed easier to me to find a tool that will fit in the present casing.

So, I think what I've been calling the "cartridge" is the stem, is that right? And to set me straight, what is a cartridge to a plumber? And what is the chrome casing?

tub.jpg

The proper terminology for the chrome casing is the escutcheon. That should simply unscrew from the surface, but it will also cause your guts to fall down. Can you get under the plumbing to support it?

I have a about 10 Moen socket wrenches that come with the several single handle kitchen faucets that have a 5/8"socket on one end.

or a metal one by Delta.

The delta one fits a little loose on 5/8" but should work just fine. I have one and tried them both on a 3/8' compression nut . That takes a 5/8" wrench.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back