Advice on rocks for septic line, and corrugated to PVC adapter.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tireshark

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Replacing a 4 inch corrugated septic drain, that is 130 ft. long. The corrugated pipe goes directly into the septic tank, and i am going to cut it off about a foot from the tank and use pvc for the rest of the line.

Is this product okay for the connection, or is there a better alternative?

4" to 4" coupling

There are some rocks lining the trench from the previous installation... but i thought i might put some more down. If i do, would something like this be appropriate? Or are there better deals buying in bulk somewhere?

Rocks

Also, is there any type of material that i could put under the pipe to prevent roots from penetrating? If so, is this an effective strategy?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Will either work?

If the pea gravel wont, then i can get some of the larger rocks... isn't there a name for it? wash fill, or waste fill, or something like that?

Last edited:
I believe it's called 1 1/2" double washed white rocks . I'm not positive on the white rocks part

The bigger rock has bigger voids so it will hold more liquid. You would normally want a washed rock so the fines don't cake up the bottom of the trench and make part of that rock worthless. Washed rock is not cheap.

As for the adapter any place that sells HDPE pipe should be able to get you the proper HDPE to PVC Adapter, they are cheap but you have to look for them.

I believe it's called 1 1/2" double washed white rocks . I'm not positive on the white rocks part

Pretty sure the white part does not matter but you are correct on the other. We install large underground retention systems with this rock.

Is the pipe you are worried about roots perf pipe or sealed? The best thing I have found is to use SDR 35 or another PVC for the pipe with leak proof couplings. Roots go for the water source and if you have a bunch of leaky pipe they attack.

Latest posts

Back