Proper care for very low use septic system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bocoffman

Reaction score
Hello. I recently bought a new property with a main house and separate stick built and plumbed workshop building. Each has it's own spetic tank and drain field. We hardly ever use the bathroom in the workshop building and I'm wondering if I'm not introducing enough natural bateria to keep that system operating healthy. Should I consider any additives to keep this system and drain field working properly?
Thanks,
-Bo

packet of yeast...1 times a year.

you need to run a little water in the drains every week to keep the ptraps from drying out,

5 gallons into the tank thru the drains would be ok

during the winter,,pour 1/4 cup of antifreeze in each drain to keep traps from freezing and busting

Yeast is a fungus and one that competes for food against the bacteria naturally present in human waste. In a septic tank you shouldnt have am issue but if you are it is better to feed the bacteria with a scoop of dog food than adding fungus.

But honestly, you shouldnt have any issues on a standard septic tank. I find issues on aerobic systems.

Yeast is a fungus and one that competes for food against the bacteria naturally present in human waste.

In a septic tank you shouldnt have am issue but if you are it is better to feed the bacteria with a scoop of dog food than adding fungus.

...hmmpf...

Who would have known?

THANX!
grinning-smiley-003.gif

Latest posts

Back