Floodsafe piece of junk

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay1028

Reaction score
I just had to join this forum to post what has just happened to our kitchen.

There is this six foot dishwasher line that goes from a water supply valve under the kitchen sink through a cabinet wall and to the dishwasher. I was out on the back porch and heard my wife yelling for me at the top of her lungs. She was screaming that steam was coming out from under the kitchen sink. When I opened the cabinet door, I could see water shooting out full force but did not know from where. I ran to the garage and shut off the main water supply.

As you can see from the attached photo, the 'FloodSafe' line had separated from the nut that secures the line to the water supply valve. This could have been catastrophic if it happened when no one was home. This piece of crap is being sold as a safety precaution against a burst hose or fitting problem. Only problem is that the nut that secures this device separated before the protective valve. Install is only nine years old.

Label states Made in China.

floodsafe.jpg

Would you guys recommend the regular steel braided line to replace this. It seems that the regular braided line looks to have the same nut configuration.

I don't have a problem running 3/8 copper, but there is such a short sharp 90 deg turn for the water inlet on the d/w that I don't think I can do it without kinking.

Jay

After doing some analysis, I found that the crappy floodsafe connection is a crappy design concerning the nut. It is held in place by a sort of floating C-clip. Bad engineering design and stupid people that signed off on the design.

After looking at the construction of the regular braided line, it is totally different. Ther is no C-clip, but instead a brass collar that traps the nut so that it cannot come off.

Since there is only a two inch channel provided for the water supply by LG, it looks too difficult to form copper. And then someday when d/w needs to be replaced, that 90 bend in the copper would not fit back through that opening.

This is what I found by a quick search on this crappy water line.
http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/watts-floodsafe-not-very-part-1.26673/

People's homes have been ruined by this part. Spread the word about this dangerous product.

That piece of wood shimming up the d/w was necessary because the leveling foot was striped. Another junk.

I will get the HF tubing bender for future use. Good price.

Jay

bad flood saver.JPG

bad nut.jpg

brass flange.jpg

IMG_6887.JPG

Very common problem with this product line. So much of a problem that inspectors in a really big city I work in will not approve any installation which uses Floodsafe lines.

Latest posts

Back