Kitchen Sink Strainer Body Oozing Putty

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIMMIEM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced a kitchen sink Strainer Body. I cleaned the plumbers putty from around the rim but periodically more putty oozes out. I have the Strainer Body retaining nut hand tightened as much as I'm able. The Strainer Body is slightly off center due to the slight misalignment of the tail pipe.

nut needs be more than hand tight unless you might have a cheap plastic strainer and the instruction explicitly said hand tighten only because it's poorly made and they don't want you to break it.

nut needs be more than hand tight unless you might have a cheap plastic strainer and the instruction explicitly said hand tighten only because it's poorly made and they don't want you to break it.
The nut is plastic. I have read that wrenches should not be used on plastic plumbing nuts.

Like frodo said not gorilla tight but I always give them a snug with a wrench.
If it's oozing putting , give it a snug. wait a bit, give it another snug.

to much putty sometimes will also push the neoprene gasket out from between the sink and nut.
We used to get brass/stainless strainers that had thick gaskets and they would always squeeze out so we started replacing the gaskets with thinner ones and stopped buying the ones with thick gaskets.

Last edited:
I've seen several different styles on nut tools. Recommendation on which to buy? One of them has multifunction. Thank You.

Back