portable dishwasher to kitchen faucet hookup

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horatio

Reaction score
When we decided to remodel our kitchen, we kept the GE portable dishwasher that had a double hose with a snap ring, but replaced the kitchen faucet with a Moen (three holes for faucet, sprayer and single handle).
I was surprised when I could not hook up the double hose snap ring to the end of the faucet because the end of the faucet did not have an extended lip for the snap ring to lock it in place. I went to various plumbing supply stores and purchased various adapters. Although they fit snugly at the snap ring, none would connect to the faucet. Later on, I met up with a man who claimed to be more experienced with plumbing. He informed me that Moen faucets are not designed to be hooked up to portable dishwashers. And he said that even if they could be connected, the single handle would eventually develop a leak due to the water pressure.
A permanent dishwasher connection would require a major kitchen re-design and significant expense. A more economical alternative is to replace the faucet. But I don't want to repeat my mistake. So what particular brands of faucets should I look for that will connect to, and are durable enough, to be used with a portable dishwasher?
Unfortunately, I don't remember the brand of the original faucet that we replaced.

You will want a traditional style faucet without the pull out spray that you can unscrew the aerator and put your adaptor on.

Thanks Matt30 and frodo for responding.

No, I saved nothing from the old faucet. I don't even remember the brand or model. We didn't need to hook up the dishwasher until about a week after installing the new faucet. By then, the old faucet had been picked up by the trash collectors.

I am able to unscrew the end tip of the Moen faucet. That end tip has male threads that screw in the female thread of the faucet end. I use that end tip when I shop looking for an adapter with male threads of the same size but haven't found any.

But even if I did, I'm worried about what that man told me. Is it true that Moen faucet handle mechanisms cannot sustain water pressures encountered during repeated dishwasher cycles?

Last edited:
LOL...faucets are kinda simple. its a valve, when its open, water comes thru. their is no "mechanism"

me thinks the old man is telling tales.

your best bet, contact the company that made the washer, enquiry about an adapter.

if they do not hhave one that fits your faucet, get one anyway.

you can always have it adapted..

i needed one for my faucet.

aererater 002.jpg

so i cut 2 in half and solidered them together...

Attachments

• aererater 001.jpg
    aererater 001.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 87
frodo, that is very ingenious. But the adapters I have seen appear to be a flimsy kind of light metal (resembling silver colored plastic). So I don't believe they can be soldered. I would have thought they would require welding instead of soldering to withstand the varying pressures as the water turns on and off.

I will head out to another plumbing supply place tomorrow and see if I can something stronger.

I used portable dishwashers on a Moen faucet for years, but it was traditional, not a pull out spray. I have yet to see a snap fitting aerator that can be used in a pull out spray

Back