Shower Drain Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leakyguy

Reaction score
We've got a leak in our basement corner show.

I removed the strainer cover expecting to find a two-piece drain assembly, but that is not the case. I took the attached picture into Home Depot, and they have not seen anything like it.

Anyone here seen anything like it?

100_1135.jpg

it looks like a no caulk shower drain. hard to tell, picture way out of focus.

is that black ring a plastic nut or the rubber ?

2 places this drain can leak View attachment 8192

if the nut holding the rubber is loose, or around the drain itself

The black thing is flexible rubber. I believe you can count 5 ribs exposed above the drain pipe . . . then there are more ribs you can't see, below the end of the drain pipe. I assume the black thing is acting as a gasket.

As far as the two arrows, the one pointing to the outer edge of the black thing is a groove in which an round lip/edge of the strainer cover fits.

Would another possible leak area not be where the black thing fits around the drain pipe.

Going to the second post, the guy at Home Depot and I pretty much arrived at the same conclusion, that this is all there is to this particular drain design.

An option would be to switch it out with a "normal" 2-piece shower drain, but a possible problem may be if the distance between the top of the drain pipe and the shower pan is not the correct distance for a 2-piece drain. I can't access this from underneath.

Am I correct that I could try to make this one work with some silicone sealant in the proper places?

I'll try another picture, but It will show any more.

Attachments

• 100_1135.jpg
    100_1135.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 77
Here's a thread saying the black thing (gasket) can be removed and replaced.

(Obviously not at Home Depot since they do not recognize the picture at all)

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/remove-no-caulk-shower-drain-543491.html

Since I now know what it is, and it's all there, that the black thing is a gasket, I think I'm on my way to knowing how to fix it, even though it probably will not work when I do.

Does that about sum it up?

Thanks.

:D

the problem could be flexing.

does the bottom of the shower stall move?

i set all my showers in a bed of concrete...

what happens, is..if the bottom flexs, it causes the drain to leak.

to fix, cut a hole to access the bottom of the shower...mix a 50 pound sak of concrete.

mix it wet not dry...and by hook or crook get it under the shower.

Delta Faucet thinks this is one of theirs. They are saying it is a drain kit likely siliconed into the shower pan, so that I can remove it and replace it with a new one, and they have given me an 800# to order.

Of course, this can be done from above.

We've got a leak in our basement corner show.

I removed the strainer cover expecting to find a two-piece drain assembly, but that is not the case. I took the attached picture into Home Depot, and they have not seen anything like it.

Anyone here seen anything like it?

I face similar sort of issue with shower. I just open up the shower valve itself, there may be some debris there blocking a passage. Not unheard of, especially with other plumbing work going on. :)

Back