New basement project

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougw03

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning to hire a plumber to redo the plumbing in my basement and wanted to get some opinions on the setup. I have 3/4" piping coming in from the street which goes to the shutoff valve and brought down to 1/2" piping. Some plumbers said I should replace the valve and keep it 3/4" the whole way and others said it doesn't matter since the house has 1/2" and I'm only planning to replace the piping in the basement.

The water pressure in my 3 story townhouse could be better and I'd like to add a pressure booster in line. I'm also adding a lot of home automation and would like to add an electronic shutoff valve. Lastly I'd like to add a water filter to filter the water into the house.

My questions are:

1. Does it matter if the plumbing goes from 3/4" to 1/2"?
2. I've attached a diagram of the system. Does the order of these devices make sense?
3. I plan to use PEX through the basement over CPVC. The plumbers I've talked to all seem to have varying opinions about the merits of each material. What is the consensus on these forums?

Thanks!

system.jpg

3 story? if you have more than 2 bathrooms. you need 1'' not 1/2''
dealing with mulit story its volume you are wanting .

Unfortunately the house has all 1/2" so there's not much I can do at this point. Will a pressure booster help at all?

Depends on what kind of pressure you have now.

1\2" is going to give you volume trouble. Pressure can boost volume some what but that is only because it will push it faster through the system, but at what cost. To much pressure can cause other problems.

Start with HOW much pressure do you have now?

It will always be advisable to hire a plumber before you proceed with the plan. They would definitely have better idea as to what needs to be done. Everybody has a different perspective to do things hence it would be better if you could consult with more than one plumber before deciding on the plan. My neighbor was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. He consulted a plumbing repair service in Toronto who gave him exactly what he was looking for. Hence it is better to get a different perspective and consider all options before deciding on one.

Back