Who should service/repair my boiler?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhqpzjg

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

I have a Burnham compact gas fired direct vent boiler, which provides space heat and hot domestic water via a sidearm water heater. There is water dripping at a relatively slow rate from the Watts 9D-M3 backflow preventer valve atmospheric vent. I've read that the seals can wear out in these, or crud can build up causing them to 'vent' or leak. I'd like to replace it, which seems relatively straightforward, given the union connections. There is a shut off valve before the back flow preventer, but not one after it...only a Watts S1156F pressure regulator. Will this pressure regulator 'check' any backflow from the boiler, so that I can replace the backflow preventer without losing water or introducing a significant amount of air into the system?

I've also read that flushing the system may be indicated when replacing these valves, to avoid the crud problem that may have created the leak in the first place. Is this necessary? This is a process that seems not quite as straight forward to me, which leads me to my next question...

When I hire someone to work on my boiler, who should I hire? I've dealt with a number of plumbers over the years that say they're happy to work on my boiler, but I wonder if they really know boilers. What questions should I ask when vetting someone to work on my boiler? Is there a certification that is industry or manufacturer based that is reasonable to use as a starting point?

The images are rotated 90 degrees, but for reference they serve the purpose.

Thanks for any insight,

Jason

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Anyone with minimal heating experience and knows how to solder can make that repair. Those are on your domestic cold water supply anyway.

Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I was under the assumption that the backflow preventer could be replaced without soldering, given the union connections. Is that incorrect? And yes, they are on the cold water domestic supply, which also supplies the boiler, I believe, yes?

Regarding someone to work on the boiler, I guess I was looking for more that just replacing the backflow preventer. Someone who would really be familiar with the details of this particular system. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Jason

The back flow preventer can be replaced without soldering, granted you replace with the same. The one you have is common, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Most companies advertise as "Plumbing and Heating". Call one in your area and tell them what you want done, see if they know what you're talking about

Back