Is this plumbing necessary or a total mistake?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreWarWarrior

Reaction score
I live in a prewar apartment in Queens and I've been fixing my landlord's mistakes over the past few months when I have time and some extra money to throw at the projects. I'm relatively handy, but when it comes to plumbing, I always need to consult the experts.

I'm not sure if this mess under the sink was necessary to retrofit the plumbing, or if my landlord is just clueless. Lately my sink has been making terribly loud gurgling sounds that last for around 20 seconds. It's not related to flushing or using the sink or bath tub. Sometimes it will happen at 4 in the morning, it's so loud that it wakes us up.

Let me know if you think I should replace this mess with the standard under sink plumbing, or if you think was done out of necessity.

I apologize that the images are sideways, they are right side up on my phone and computer, so not sure why they flipped to the side.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

Yeah, I had a feeling it was wrong. I'm not sure if it's this way because they couldn't get the pieces to match up to each other, if it's because the old plumbing is compatible with the new plumbing (the part in the wall seems huge compared to other sinks I've seen) or if he's just a moron.

Does anyone think I could just take it apart and put the right pieces in? Or is this more difficult considering the 100 year old pipes in the wall?

ETA - I was checking it out some more and it looks like the j trap is simply too long and the plumbing that comes from the wall is too low so a j trap does not fit where it should be placed. Is there a regulation regarding J trap size or can I install any size that will fit?

Last edited:
Looks like the stub out of the wall is too low and a traps belly will probly hit the vanity bottom

Whoever installed that obviously wasn't a plumber....or smart

Back