Plumbing a new addition and I need advice since it's my first time

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upnorthman

Reaction score
I'm just an old man who needs some advice on my attempt to plumb a new bathroom and utility room for an addition I'm going to build If I stay healthy. I moved here last year because my lovely wife said we need to retire on our 5 aches in the woods. Were we have an unfinished cottage that we put up in 2001. It has the bare necessities in three rooms 764 sq. ft. I've been working with chief architect design program. I made a couple of drawings that should help you see the plumbing lay out. Attached are two PDF's. Some of the questions are, is there enough venting, and since I'm building on a slab my main drain will be 4ft down in the sand so do I just use a combo tee/wye to connect drains. The other things is can I run a 28 foot vent from the kitchen to the 3 inch roof vent or use a AAV since the kitchen sink is under a window. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment drain1.pdf

I tried to resize the original PDF, and the image but, I can't get either one down under 25kb. I real appreciate your help. The only thing I can think of now is to email you the PDF of the layout or one of the images I have like the jpeg it's 87kb. also that ? mark you put on there is a floor drain.

I made a new drawing that might help but, have a problem with my scanner so it's going to be a few days until I can post it. Thing is you need more info because there is an existing building next to the utility room and a bedroom on the other side of the bath. I'll make them jpegs.

I have a new washer front end loader, does that mean I still need to use a suds relief drain. It doesn't seem to use much water. I'll see if I can figure out what your showing me with these drawings. Thanks again!

My daughter lived here for a year before she found the place they wanted to buy, Since she married a man with $ she could afford the new ones they bought them, and then gave them to us when they moved out. Yeah! they are out of my pay scale SS check too. LOL I'm not sure about the code here in the woods but, I understand it could back up. So I'll tie it in about 4-5' away to the 3" main. I got to use paint and make a drawing so, I know which pipes will be under the slab.Which I'll post when done.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm working on a new drawing of what I think you have suggested. I do have another question "Do I use a no hub coupling to connect to the 4" main"?

Here's the new drawings. I got some questions. Can I tie the bathroom sink drain and the lav sink drain together then run it to 3"? With the layout of the new drains is wise to eliminate the existing roof vent and tie it to the new 3" vent or keep both? Also the 4" main is about 4 feet under the sand (see drawing) do I pitch the 3" drain 1/4 inch per ft. then drop it on an angel to tie in to the 4" main to septic?

drains.jpg

Under sand.jpg

Here's the new drawings. I got some questions. Can I tie the bathroom sink drain and the lav sink drain together then run it to 3"? With the layout of the new drains is wise to eliminate the existing roof vent and tie it to the new 3" vent or keep both? Also the 4" main is about 4 feet under the sand (see drawing) do I pitch the 3" drain 1/4 inch per ft. then drop it on an angel to tie in to the 4" main to septic?

if, your talking about theses 2 sinks

drainppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn (1).jpg

you can drain them into the same vertical pipe if they are are the same elevation, but, if the trap arms are a different height. then NO

usually...a laundry tub, [self standing ] roughs in at 12'' center pipe to floor
and a lav roughs in at 19''

OK.Your right they might be at two different heights because one is the bathroom vanity and the other will be a stationary tub. So I'll keep them separate and then it looks like all drains will be under the slab. I think I would like to use a 4" for the main for the new addition with a 3" V.T.R and 2" all other pipes. Because I have to cut into 4" main to the septic, do I use a 4" 45 wye with a no hub coupling to connect to the 4" main?

Latest posts

Back