Drilled Through Gas Pipeline

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack88

Reaction score
So I made a dumb mistake in the garage. I drilled a 9/64" drillbit through a black gas pipeline (I didn't even think I was tapping into metal). Plumbing is not really my strong suit, so I thought I'd ask questions before attempting anything (especially since its natural gas). The picture is below.

When I heard the hissing noise, I immediately turned off the gas and searched the outside for any leaks with water and soap just to be cautious and didn't find any. I opened the garage door, and all the windows in my house so all the remaining gas could escape. I then demoed the drywall where the gas pipeline was hit to check it out.

I know I can't use JB Weld or any other type of epoxy to cover that hole because it might ignite even after the 72 curing period. Especially during winter season when I use more gas for the heater. I also don't think it would be optimal to use a welder to patch that hole. Finally, I can't use pipewrap tape to seal it because the gas will dry it out and I'd have the same problem.

What are other solutions to repair this hole? Or should I just replace that pipe and have a plumber take a look for any mistakes before I turn the gas back on?

Also, I'm not comfortable with the way the pipes are set up in my house. The black gas pipeline is right behind the drywall with no space in-between. I live in a residential area, so I'm not sure if this is acceptable by code since I think it would be better to have the pipe away from the drywall, or behind a 2x4. There is about 4" from the back of the exterior wall to the drywall. A 2x4 takes up about 1 1/2", so there would still some room for the pipe to be behind it. Am I correct in this thinking, or was the gas company right in setting up the pipes like this?

Thank you.

20150331_191529.jpg

Back