Q: Okay to install a male 1/2" NPT hose fitting into a female 1/2" #8 SAE/ORB port?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glacial

Reaction score
Hello-

The first question that I am seeking assistance in answering is this:
Is it operationally acceptable to install a male 1/2" NPT hose fitting into a female 1/2" #8 SAE/ORB port?
-------
My specific scenario...
I have a 3 port - 2 way solenoid valve operated by 12V DC (pic. 1 attached here).
The 3 ports on this item are sized as 1/2" #8 SAE/ORB

I desire to attach to each port a heater hose fitting like this one (pic. 2 attached here).
This fitting's size is 1/2" NPT

Again, the first question: Is it operationally acceptable to install a male 1/2" NPT hose fitting into a female 1/2" #8 SAE/ORB port?

Fluid travelling through the above items will be #2 diesel fuel in a passenger automobile setting.
----

The second question:
Should anything be applied to the threads of the fittings for the purpose of sealing?
----

The third question:
For the o-ring that seats into each port of the solenoid valve, should some special kind of o-ring be used or is a generic rubber/synthetic o-ring of the proper size sufficient?
----

I would sincerely appreciate any offered answers, insight or advice concerning the above. Thank you-

1.jpg

2.jpg

is this what you are looking for ? http://screencast.com/t/zPD49aVwmn this has a phone# for sales dept

#8 sae is not the same thread as npt...it will cross thread and leak.

either use a transition adapter or drill and tap

You're wonderful! :p
The adapter is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

I contacted the vendor. What their technician was not able to confirm was whether or not there is any problem with using a brass barb inside a steel adapter. He didn't think that combining the two metals would be a problem and suggested using PTFE paste or tape on the NPT threads.

I am currently planning on the following:
Use this adapter: http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/6405.htm
(#8 SAE/ORB Male x 3/8" NPTF Female)
Then install into it a Male Pipe (NPTF).

The problem that I am currently having is finding a Male Pipe (NPTF) 5/16" for the hose barb x 3/8" NPTF Male. So far, all of the 5/16" Male Pipe (NPTF) fittings I have found max out at a 1/4" NPTF Male. Since this application involves fuel hosing, I would much prefer to use a barb having a smooth [Male Pipe (NPTF)] surface and not the 3 graduated rings that is so common on barbs.

Perhaps there is some technical reason why a Male Pipe (NPTF) barb of 5/16" for the barb and 3/8" NPTF Male on the other end is not manufactured (I have searched the internet and found none thus far).

I may have to revisit my application to determine whether or not I can use a Male Pipe (NPTF) 1/4" or 3/8" for the hose barb with a 3/8" NPTF male.

Again, thank you very much for the informative reply about thread differences and the outstanding link! :)

Latest posts

Back