Hopeless septic/drainage woes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shsnj

Reaction score
We moved into a small house about eight years ago. Unbeknownst to us, the property gets a lot of runoff water onto our large front yard (where the tank is located). For years, we've struggled with septic failure issues caused by rain, soggy soil. We even had our property graded to make it more level, which improved things some. Still, when we get several days of very hard rain, the toilets won't flush.

To make matters worse, our property is in a kind of bowl. No matter which direction you walk, it goes slightly uphill. So we've been unable to put in any effective drainage (we've tried some DIY measures like storm drains, to no avail). The county won't let us use a French drain because the septic tank and drain field are in the front yard. Even if the county did allow it, I'm not sure we could get an adequate downward slope for it. Everything goes uphill.

I want to sell this home in the very near future (just lost my job), but I don't know if we can overcome this drainage and septic problem.

Any suggestions?

Screwed. OK, thanks. I'm going into the tank now and closing the cover.

See if the county will allow you a dosing tank that pumps to the absorption facility. They may require alternative treatment though.

Latest posts

Back