Dripping in toilet stops on its own

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeylargo

Reaction score
After flushing my toilet I hear a dripping sound for a loooong time, maybe about and hour but then it stops all by itself. There is no visible water anywhere, the toilet does not re-fill itself, the water level in the tank after it is filled is below the overflow tube. I just can't figure out what can be causing it and it drives me nuts.

Wow, never would have thought that. Thank you. I will try to tackle it this weekend.

do you have one of these in your tank. if the refill tube is sticking down inside the overflow it will syphon water out of tank. Refill tube requires an air GAP clip.

sss.png

I got really busy and yes, I am really bad and did not get that drip fixed. :( I am home today so am trying to take care of some odds and ends.

Mr_David -The clip is securely on and the fill tube is above the overflow so that is not the problem.

To check for leaking flapper use some food color in tank after tank has refilled. If flapper or flush valve is leaking colored water will show up in bowl.

sometimes a drip sound is caused by pipe being tight against the wood and when it expands/contracts it makes a pop/drip like sound.

Back