designing kitchen drain problem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaken-n-stirred

Reaction score
I have a kitchen rough framed. I have a sink to go in under a window, pretty std stuff. However, I need to run the drain into the wall, make a 90 degree turn in the wall, through one crippled stud under the window and then go through FIVE studs all ganged together ( one cripple, two jacks, one king and anther stud just on layout). How do I drill that? I have a 90 degree hole hog and a 2 1/8" self feeding drill bit. I have room to drill into the studs on one sid but not the other and of course the drill is not long enough to go through the required 8 inches of material. Do they sell extensions for my bit? do I just notch the studs and lay the pipe in the notch (flush with drywall)?

??????? Other ideas?

Instead of drilling all the studs. run the trap arm outside the wall to the santee, presuming the santee is not onder the windo and off to the side of the window with the vent going up. turn the santee at a 45 coming out of wall and bring it through the cabinet. That is unless you have a dishwasher or appliance in the way.

If you really have to go through the studs pop out of wall with a 45, NOT a 90.
You don't have to come straight out of wall to hit the p-trap

aaa.jpg

Last edited:
if you are thinking of notching studs make sure you use joist plates to reinforce.

Are reinforcement necessary for a 2 1/4 inch notch in a 2 x 6 stud? I am sure nail plates are required.

buy a 6'' extension for the drill, and use a 2'' self feeding bit.

do NOT notch out the studs under a window!!!!!!!

the building inspector will red tag your azz so fast you will wonder what happen...then the plumbing inspector will kick you in the nerts

the carpenter will just plan beat your butt...and your dog will pee on your leg

http://screencast.com/t/4vYrOyNm

http://screencast.com/t/AXljEjnb

if you lay the holes are correctly,,,you will have no problems drilling

Last edited:
No building inspector here, carpenters gone, notching 2 inches out of 5 and 1/2 inch of wood with FIVE over kill studs should not be a problem. BUT...

I drilled the studs. Thanks.

Back