? re temporary water supply from neighbor via hose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liz

Reaction score
We have been without water for 3 weeks (likely due to a frozen City supply pipe - it's complicated). Our City Water Department hooked us up to our neighbor's outside water supply (with their permission) as a temporary measure. (neighbor isn't charged for water) We were both told it would be 10 days to two weeks. That was a month ago - and now we're told it will likely be until the end of May.

As part of the hook up we were told to leave a tap running continuously in our house (temps were minus 20 and worse) to prevent freezing.

We advised our neighbors of this new timeline and learned they are uncomfortable with the water running all the time and worry it is putting undue pressure on their system, particularly for another 2 months. Is that correct? Would that put pressure on their system?

We are attempting to move the connection to another neighbor but want to understand more about their concern and its legitimacy as we don't want to harm anybody's system.

Also the temperature is rising such that we hope we won't need the tap running continuously - assume that's correct once overnight temperatures are above freezing?

Mainly we are trying to escalate the repair schedule with the City.

Thank you for any information.

It's not putting stress on their system. Having two homes run off of one service as you described, creates more demand from the fixtures and both of you may experience lower pressure and volume during simultaneous use.
The pressure from the main doesn't increase with the amount of water used at the house.
Now, I don't know what state or city you live in, but the circumstances that your water company has the both of you living in are unacceptable, in my opinion.
Is there a backflow preventer to protect their water supply from any possible cross contamination from your house? How is this connection made to your neighbor's house? Is it a hose on a valve outside of the house? Is the piping to your home exposed to where it could be tampered with?
Is the pressure and volume adequate for your house's plumbing fixtures to operate properly?
There are a number of code compliance issues that may comply and some water authorities feel that they are exempt, but they are not. If you are looking to put pressure on them to get the job done, maybe you should look into your Public Utility Code for your state and see what recourse is available to the public in situations like this. Even local officials could enforce violations to health and safety when dealing with the utility companies.
without know the details, I also find it strange that your neighbors have water but you don't. I live in a city where we have major water mains break or become obstructed (12" to 36") during the most difficult climate changes and the crews still show up and do the work ASAP. Why all of the run around in your case is a mystery.
Maybe even contact your local senate/congress representative or ask a local media source to help.

I would call the local Tv station,,get them standing out in the front yard asking questions.

here is a question...if your water bill was late, would they turn it off? or would they let you wait till spring?

we have a Guy at chanel 13 called Marvin zindler...He would be all over this like white on rice

search

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=marvin+zindler+eyewitness+news&FORM=VIRE3#view=detail&mid=FAD611BCBFD45FD0EC71FAD611BCBFD45FD0EC71

Back