toilet flange issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomed_deeps

Reaction score
Hi, been reading these forums sporadically to up my knowledge of the plumbing industry but right now I am stuck. I currently have a toilet in an upstairs bathroom. It was leaking so I pulled the toilet. Previous homeowner had a rigged together aluminum spout connecting to the waste pipe. My problem is the waste pipe is coming in at about a 20 degree angle to the hole for the toilet. I have put a 22 degree elbow at the end of the run and this is the result. Please see attachment. The elbow was sitting 2.5 inches high so I cut it down. However I do not know how to finish this install. If I add a closet flange I will be up by approximately 2 inches. Any suggestions to solve this issue? As well I am slightly offset within the hole. I cannot modify this because of the joist below. P's sorry for the upside down picture.

On another note what are thoughts on cracks of base of toilet? Replace or no?

1426999199121.jpg

1426999212984.jpg

1426999423935.jpg

1426999444284.jpg

Last edited:
are you serious can't believe someone did that. the closet flange should not go through like that. if that is a three inch pipe it needs to be a three inch flange call a plumber to repair

I'd like to address the toilet issue only.

Yes, it needs to be replaced. One hard sit and the victim could easily end up surrounded by sharp shards of glass around their keester.

I'm pretty sure you can just go to the store and put a new flange right inside that pipe, you'll see them. It new flange will go inside the pipe not over the outside.

Make sure you screw the New flange to the floor.

The toilet is just sitting on the floor as far as I see, probably why it cracked.

I didn't comment because I surf with just a mini tablet. I thought that picture was a 3" pipe just poking up thru a closet flange, then i thought "can't be...nobody would do that"....but are you guys confirming that's really what's going on here? :eek:

yeah try using lead in California you will get a nice big fat fine so its not legal everywhere

I'll address just the extra 1" of pipe that is extending above the flange. The easiest solution would be to use a grinder and cut off that extra 1" of pipe to make it flush with the flange. Problem solved. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding your dilemma.

Back